Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chargers?

eubanks

What kind of battery chargers to you guys have and how often do you run them? We were on the water at least once a week last year so we never used anything and that worked fine. We have only been on the lake a few times over winter and have not charged the batteries at all. We just flip the Perko switch back on and we are good to go.

So should we be trickle charging them or anything if we are going to be absent for an extended period of time?

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp?ProdID=1959&CtgID=3576

I've got one of these attached to my stock battery all winter and during long stretches in the summer.

Would you have to buy 2 of these if you have a dual battery setup?

I think it depends on how you use your 2 batteries. Some treat them as 1, never disconnecting them. I'd only use 1 charger then. But if you have a starting and an accessory battery, I'd get 2 chargers.

We have 2 identical batteries used with a Perko isolator switch. We always have the dial turned to "2" but will choose "1" when we are stopped listening to tunes. This is how we are supposed to be using them right?! I've heard that you can just hook up the charger to one battery and then put the switch in the both position and it will charge them together. This may not be accurate though.

We have 2 identical batteries used with a Perko isolator switch. We always have the dial turned to "2" but will choose "1" when we are stopped listening to tunes. This is how we are supposed to be using them right?! I've heard that you can just hook up the charger to one battery and then put the switch in the both position and it will charge them together. This may not be accurate though.

because they get used differently they will have different characteristics. Float chargers like the one I mentioned work best on a single battery, so I would get 2. A normal charger that you hook up for a few hours and disconected it using 1 charger in the "both" postion on the perko would be fine.

What kind of battery chargers to you guys have and how often do you run them? We were on the water at least once a week last year so we never used anything and that worked fine. We have only been on the lake a few times over winter and have not charged the batteries at all. We just flip the Perko switch back on and we are good to go.

So should we be trickle charging them or anything if we are going to be absent for an extended period of time?

We turn off the Perko switch and the batteries get almost no drain over the 4 months of winter. On my cars, however, I hard wire the following a charger from ctek (multi US 3300). Smartest battery charger available, although not cheap. www.ctek.com

If you want to see many options in one place, look here: http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/