Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sinking sunscape

2005 21 LSV hit a rock pile in otherwise deep water today. Took the fire department boat (twin 200 hp merc) three tries to pull it off. Almost made it back to dock before water took out engine. We bailed and the fire dept. got us to dock and on trailer. Engine full of water. Tore all skags off the bottom, left gapping rip. Drive train is ok.

Any thoughts? Can this be saved? It is insured. What should a person do?

martinarcher

Dealer quote time. I would take it there and have the quote the repairs. Work with them and your insurance company and see if it's totaled.

Sounds like rough day! I'm glad to one was hurt!

A friend of my family recently did very similar damage to their boat. It was a 2001 Sunsetter VLX and insurance would have given them $25,000 for the boat, but they're actually going to repair it for $21,000.

They're actually going to cut out a square section in the hull and replace it instead of just using fiberglass which could add more weight to one side. Interesting to say the least.

I will post some pics. I had to leave town for work. I did get water in the motor but that can be cleaned out. I plan to take to Minneapolis dealer for estimate as no one in SD can even guess. We hope it can be repaired as we just love the boat. We have good insurance (allstate). This was in the local paper -

Monday, August 27, 2012

Good morning from the KCCR Newsroom...

Agencies free stuck boat

A 21-foot recreational boat had a rocky voyage Sunday.

Pierre’s Rescue Squad and the state Game, Fish and Parks Department were called at 3:30 p.m. Sunday to help free the boat that had become lodged in a pile of rocks, located under the Missouri River surface. The incident occurred east of Farm Island in the main channel.

Pierre Deputy Fire Chief Ian Paul says the boat was stuck in shallow water. He says the first time crews tried to free the boat, the rope broke. So crews than doubled up on the rope and pulled the boat from out of the rocks.

Paul says the rocks caused a two-foot tear in the boat’s bottom, resulting in water in the boat. Paul says the Rescue Squad towed the boat to the new Farm Island boat dock near the polo fields while two Game, Fish and Parks officers, Josh Carr and John Murphy, stayed in the boat, helping the three boat occupants bale water.

The boat had to be towed about a mile from the rocks to the dock. Paul says crews were on scene for about 90 minutes.

It was closer to 4 ft tear, and I was onboard bailing with the GFP guy. It would have gone under without both of us. also, GFP rescued my wife and dog! Crazy end of summer

• 4 weeks later...

I have some pics but am not smart enought to get them on. I guess cut and paste doesn't work. The repair bill is $10,000 and that includes replacing all electronics on the engine. The dealer said it will be good as new! They are going to repair this winter. Don't need a boat in SD until next May! The damage was to the fin area. It tore all three off, and then tore a hole in the hull right behind where they connect.

Hope to be ready for the 2013 season!

I have some pics but am not smart enought to get them on. I guess cut and paste doesn't work. The repair bill is $10,000 and that includes replacing all electronics on the engine. The dealer said it will be good as new! They are going to repair this winter. Don't need a boat in SD until next May! The damage was to the fin area. It tore all three off, and then tore a hole in the hull right behind where they connect.

Hope to be ready for the 2013 season!

ohh, we have to see the pictures

upload the photos to a free photobucket account, then copy the "link code" into this post

A friend of my family recently did very similar damage to their boat. It was a 2001 Sunsetter VLX and insurance would have given them $25,000 for the boat, but they're actually going to repair it for $21,000.

They're actually going to cut out a square section in the hull and replace it instead of just using fiberglass which could add more weight to one side. Interesting to say the least.

I think I would have taken the 25k in that case!