Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

noise coming from engine area

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of this noise I am hearing. First off I have a 2005 Malibu vlx just rolled over 100 hrs. I was on the lake and notice a noise coming from the engine area. So I checked the oil and it was almost a quart low didnt have any with me so I had my friend drive to the marina and pick a quart up. Drove the rest of the day with it and it still made the noise. Not like a tick like the injectors make but a little louder and it seems to make it in reverse or forward but is more noticable at idle. I dont think it is the dampner because it sounds like it is coming from the top port side of the engine.

The oil pressure stayed at 30-40 idling and 50-60 while driving.

When I came home I went ahead and changed the oil and filters (oil,fuel) with fresh oil. Still making the noise.

Not a spun rod or main bearing noise.

So I took it out yesterday to the lake and ran it still the same oil pressure readings now just a little higher reading 60-70.

The only thing I notice I didnt before was when I went across someones wake it sounded like a pop can was in my engine bay. very weird.

Any suggestions on where to check for this noise I cant seem to track down.

Thanks

Edited by wmcnees

Double check that your spark plug wires on are correct cylinders. While changing spark plugs, we got two wire switched, and it caused a knocking sound in the engine that sounded like a piece of metal floating around in there. I would have never thought that sound would result.

Wow is there a hole somewhere on the side of the trans? Either way you got lucky in a sense that only small pieces are in the bilge and not have the plate.

I removed the vdrive and transmisson last nite and I thought my bell housing was good. So after I removed it I could better inspect it. Well as my luck goes I found a crack about 1 inch long on the top side where the bell housing covers the starter.

My question is before I shell out 400.00 for a new bell housing. Will it hurt anything using this one since its only a 1 inch crack or do you think it will just get bigger as time goes on?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I just made a post because this happened to me last weekend in my 05' LSV; only my parts blew 2 holes-one is larger than a silver dollar-right near the starter in the bell housing. I would definitely replace the housing unless you have the existing one welded up.

I had a cracked bell housing on a mid90s Chevy truck. I used some jb weld and never had another problem for the 80k miles I kept until selling it.

Edited by get_u_sum