Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WHAT DO YOU KEEP IN YOUR STORAGE AREAS?

NH_WAKE

Well pretty soon we will have our new 2006 V.L.X, and I was wondering what and how everyone keeps in the various storage compartments on board. I want to get an idea not so much as what is carried, but what everyone keeps where to maximize space. I appreciate everyones input, and keep checking the death stars updated build pics! Yahoo.gif

Well in general we break all of the boards down for trailering, put the boards under the port middle seat, with towels inbetween, then put the bindings in the starboard rear locker with the tubes. Then the port rear locker will have the fat sacs, and all of its pumps and such. We will also put the lifejackets and wetsuits back there. In the port corner seat that is where all the ropes live, neatly coiled. Starboard corner seat, is all the tools, both anchors, bail bucket. Then in the cooler, that is our "dry" storage, clothes and towel of whoever is ridding. under the passenger seat, we put what coolers we have, then everyone's junk, backpacks shoes etc.

I see so you do not use the factory ice chest for drinks? you bring a separate cooler along? do you keep anything under the bow cushions?

Well in general we break all of the boards down for trailering, put the boards under the port middle seat, with towels inbetween, then put the bindings in the starboard rear locker with the tubes.

You take the bindings off your boards every time? Does everyone do this? Seems like a pain.

bow:

lead

anchor

anchor buddy

lake stake

various lines

dock bouys

infant/child life jackets (when not is use)

passenger storage under glovebox

tools

blanket

first aid kit

storage spaces for passanger backpacks/towels/etc

passenger seat

boarding and skiing lines

flag

wakeskate

ski

port rear locker

lifejackets (most used sizes)

wetsuits

tubes

lead

starboard rear locker

cleaning supplies in a bucket

spare prop kit

lead

jumbo life jackets

not my boat, but my buddy's we store:

-vests in one locker,

-a huge cooler in the other(for....non-alcoholic drink of course ;)),

- food under the observer's seat,

-anchors, rope, flags and whatever else under the side seats.

seems to work pretty well.

Bow: nothing (don't use factory coolers)

port dash: Orange wally vests, towels, sunscreen, drink cooler

Observers seat: cleaning materials and wipedown towels

port passenger bench: guest ski vests, stern light, ski ropes

port rear corner seat: transom tie downs, fenders, dock lines

starboard rear corner seat: anchor/rope

starboard passenger seat: CD changer, toolbox, spotlight

port locker: wife's wakeboard and vest

starboard locker: my wakeboard and vest, XL cooler if extra friends aboard

Well in general we break all of the boards down for trailering, put the boards under the port middle seat, with towels inbetween, then put the bindings in the starboard rear locker with the tubes.

You take the bindings off your boards every time? Does everyone do this? Seems like a pain.

Well when we have to trailer for 3 hrs, and have a car full of people, and we dont feel safe leaving them in the boat on the floor. When its a short day trip and only a few people , then we can put them in the back of the SUV. But for the most part its not much trouble, most of the bindings are liquidforce, so we have the twist on bolts, so no tools, so it takes like 1 minute per board while we are waiting for the dad to come down from parking the trailer.

Just curious, why don't you feel safe leaving them in the boat - theft (when you stop), or afraid of them blowing out?

Edited by jcbatt
Just curious, why don't you feel safe leaving them in the boat - theft (when you stop), or afraid of them blowing out?

I'd be afraid of both. Every time I see a ladder laying in the middle of the freeway, I bet the guy that had that in the back of his truck or whatever didn't think it would ever come loose.

Yeah a wakeboard at 65 will mess someone up, and with my luck it will be a guy on a bike.

im not too worried about theft, because we would put them in the boat then take off, then get to the lake, no real stoping in between.

Just keep this in mine. If you ordered the bow ballast system, a must in my mind. There is no storage up in the bow just one big ballast tank! :) Haven't figured out where everything is going to go yet but will soon. I like the idea of using the factory Ice chest as a dry storage area.

Yeah, the bow tank & the lack of the bow storage, even if it's only for the anchor & its accessories, is a big one. We ended up using the spot under the seat right behind the cooler (starboard side) for the anchor/lines/fenders. It's not really big enough for all of that, but I think that if I change to a different anchor that will fold flat then that may make the difference.

To answer the OP's questions, we don't have enough hours on the boat to really know if where we have everthing is where we want it. In addition, the vdrive lockers are so deep that most of the space is useless unless you want to dig for something every time you need it. And since we've got sacks to plumb into those compartments, it makes using them a little more difficult. I've got an idea for this, but I need to get the sacks plumbed first. If it works out, then I'll post something about it.

mmhh,...lets see a malibu launch system rear ballast tank 1 propane tank and a firts aid kit.gas leak spray and some oil.You gotta love CE rules,i am so disapointed with the ballast tank above the floor.

Edited by BenBu

I'm going from the 2003 Wakesetter VLX that I used to store my two anchors, dock lines, fenders, tools, and first aid kit up in the bow so know I'm going to have to figure out where in the 2006 I'm going to be able to store anchors, fenders, and dock lines.

So I guess alot of people prefer to use the 2006 VLX cooler compartment for dry storage? I assume you would bring a regular plastic cooler, and keep it under the passenger dash? I got the dual battery system, plus i will have my amps in there.........doubt if a cooler filled with the days essentials would fit..

We use our cooler. It would be nice to rig up something to break the compartment in half because it's too large most of the time. It takes a lot of ice to keep everything cold since it is spread out over such a large area.

The key to making the cooler last all day is to make sure the cold water doesn't drain, i.e. plug the discharge line. If you let the water drain, the ice melts fast.

If you do that, and use 40 lbs of ice, you're set. :)

I like the built-in cooler in the VLX, it's much better than the one my Supra had.

The key to making the cooler last all day is to make sure the cold water doesn't drain, i.e. plug the discharge line. If you let the water drain, the ice melts fast.

If you do that, and use 40 lbs of ice, you're set. :)

I like the built-in cooler in the VLX, it's much better than the one my Supra had.

Ditto! Except the 40 lbs of ice. If you have enough beverages it only takes about 20 -25. If you know what I mean. Beer.gif

Yeah a wakeboard at 65 will mess someone up, and with my luck it will be a guy on a bike.

im not too worried about theft, because we would put them in the boat then take off, then get to the lake, no real stoping in between.

Hmm, I've never had an issue with anything blowing out, but you're right, if it did, it could do some damage.

Speaking of the cooler on the 2006's with that black bag insert thing. I take it that the idea is to remove the insert bag, load it with ice and drinks etc, then put it back in its compartment? So if the ice and drinks are in the bag, then it will not drain out correct? So no need to plug the drain line? Also what about that black plastic tray deal under the rear seat? Good dry storage area?

Speaking of the cooler on the 2006's with that black bag insert thing. I take it that the idea is to remove the insert bag, load it with ice and drinks etc, then put it back in its compartment? So if the ice and drinks are in the bag, then it will not drain out correct? So no need to plug the drain line? Also what about that black plastic tray deal under the rear seat? Good dry storage area?

You've got the idea for the cooler insert. My thought is that not only is it be easier to load everything up & keep it contained, but that it will act as extra insulation to hold the ice longer. We'll see.

As for the tray, that's a great spot for flags, ropes & handles. The only thing is that you want to open it up at the end of the day because it seals itself & won't ventilate, & will get stinky if left closed up with wet ropes inside.

My biggest complaint about anyting on my previous Malibu's was that the cooler was a pain to use, this ne bag should make it alot nicer to use.