Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floating wedge vs. fixed wedge

nevertwobig

I damaged my wedge a month ago. I mainly surf behind my 97 sunsetter. Thinking about upgrading to the floating wedge. Is it better or worse for surfing. I am currently not using a wedge just sacking the crap out of my boat and don't like the wake as much. It's cleaner but It is not as forgiving when you fall behind. Do I stick with the fixed or will I be happier with the floating? I hit a dead head in the water and having a floating wedge would hopefully be a little more forgiving. Let me know what you think!

'

IIRC, they are about the same for surfing.... But way better as it won't break when you hit something and you don't even have to get in the water to deploy it.....

I have done the upgrade. Others will say different but I don't think there is an appreciable difference in the surf or wakeboard wake. Honestly I am trying to work on perfecting the wakesurf wake w/o the wedge anyway.

The reasons to do the upgrade in my opinion are:

Safety, there is a chance the floater is safer if you hit something.

Durability, they are way more durable. I would take welded stainless over bolted aluminum/ nibral any day.

Appearance. I think they look quite a bit better.

Slightly easier to deploy.

By the way! If you do get one the first thing you need to do is use loctite on the pins. Mine were loose from the factory.

Edited by Ruffdog

Thanks, I've read all the threads on this and was looking for some more advice. The cost is quite a bit higher need to justify it. I don't want to purchase and then decide that the fixed was better.

I also did the upgrade and feel that it made a noticeable difference in my wake. The main thing it did for me was put a nice lip on crest of the wake which gave more pop for wakeboarding and push for surfing.

I think the most important thing to note, however, is that I have a slalom hull (diamond).

I have done the upgrade. Others will say different but I don't think there is an appreciable difference in the surf or wakeboard wake. Honestly I am trying to work on perfecting the wakesurf wake w/o the wedge anyway.

Ruffdog, Thanks for sharing your insights. Are you having any luck getting a good wave w/out the wedge? I don't have a wedge (although the wedge plate was pre-installed on my boat) and am considering a floating wedge. I really don't want the extra cost and stress on the transom, but I feel like the push on my surf wave is too weak, even with a home-made surfgate. Any suggestions for getting a good surfable wake without a wedge? I have 2001 23LSV with the v25 diamond hull.

AJ