Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat slip lease

rhavey79

Just signed up to lease a covered boat slip in a private boat club at our lake. Been trailering 120 miles round trip twice a week for the past two years. 25 ft slip with new boat lift installed as part of the deal. Electricity at boat and storage closet for water toys included. Lease good from today through April 2014. Paid $3K for lease. Option to buy the slip for $30K but hope to end up with a home on the lake in the next 10 years. Interested to know how this lease price compares to what others have encountered.

Edited by rhavey79

I am looking at dale hollow and 25-30 foot range from about 2500-3200, depending on the marina. The one we intend to go with for 2013 is 3100 with water and electric at the slip, metered electric. It is 12 feet wide. I can add a lift and anything else I want. Private showers and restrooms for dock renters and a 10 cent discount on gas

So it sounds like you are getting a reasonable deal!

I am looking at dale hollow and 25-30 foot range from about 2500-3200, depending on the marina. The one we intend to go with for 2013 is 3100 with water and electric at the slip, metered electric. It is 12 feet wide. I can add a lift and anything else I want. Private showers and restrooms for dock renters and a 10 cent discount on gas

So it sounds like you are getting a reasonable deal!

It does sound like a good deal. Do you always lease a slip or is this your first year? Trying to figure out how bad of an investment it would be to buy one. They are building a couple hundred more slips in the club as demand grows. I would be competing with them to sell mine if i needed to unload it down the road. I could put your $0.10 gas discount to good use!

Edited by rhavey79

2013 will be our first year. We could go a little smaller for 2200, but I want room to have a nice storage locker to hang up the vests and gear. I can add a lift and it is mine. Since this is a state park marina, I don't have the option of a purchase

Boy that sounds like a good deal to me too rhavey. On a life for a few years, plus electric and storage. Nice.

Amenities close by? Food, gas, fun? I'll bet it's a nice lake.

Steve B.

edit: I think you'll more than make up for it in truck, trailer and boat wear and tear, and gas mileage in the long run, not to mention ease of use. No loading, unloading.

Edited by Steve B.

Previous life in Ann Arbor: 30' slip at Toledo Beach just south of Monroe Michigan on Lake Erie cost $2,350 for the season. Same harbor, similar slip on the North Cape Yacht Club side was $950. Plus you need a sponsor or two, plus 5 year waiting period, plus $125 per quarter, plus don't even think of bringing a stink pot, sailors only. Season: 6 months, maybe.

Current life in Lake St Louis: 700 Acre lake, Permanent slalom course, $150 ski club dues, $450 CA dues, $400 dock fees, $150 boat registration fees with the CA. CA gas is $.50 more expensive. $2,500 used lift, $500 lift deposit to the CA. At least 50 golf balls retrieved while mowing every year. Season: year round if La Nina winter.

Boy that sounds like a good deal to me too rhavey. On a life for a few years, plus electric and storage. Nice.

Amenities close by? Food, gas, fun? I'll bet it's a nice lake.

Steve B.

edit: I think you'll more than make up for it in truck, trailer and boat wear and tear, and gas mileage in the long run, not to mention ease of use. No loading, unloading.

StevieB,

4 marinas (one is Malibu dealer) and several restaurants on the water within 1 mile from lift. This is on Lake Anna in Virginia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Anna

Should be quite an upgrade for us and I'm starting to think this lease is a steal