Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trailer hitch help.....

Hi, does anybody know anything about this type of trailer hitch on the trailer for my 1989 Malibu Skier.

Obviously, it's got some kind of master cylinder connected to the pivot point and this creates line pressure for the brake drums at the wheels. But, how should this be maintained? Fill it with standard brake fluid and bleed the lines at the drums? I would guess the whole brake system needs to be rebuilt. Are rebuild parts available?

Thanks in advance for any help.

post-19592-0-05511200-1345878216_thumb.j

post-19592-0-80473000-1345878223_thumb.j

That's a pretty standart surge brake hitch. Same one I have. Yes it takes regular brake fluid. Depends on how rusted the system is as to it needing rebuilt. Parts should be easy to find. You've got the master cylinder which is inside the hitch, then the brake lines, and finally the brake cylinders inside each wheel drum. Those are probably seized up from water getting in each time the trailer gets dunked.

very standard surge brake. I had my master cylinder blow on an old boat last season. Easy to replace. Mine was an a Atwood, which I think is a very common system. Keep the master filled and check to be sure the system works every season. On my old boat I needed to bleed out the lines once per year but I don't think that's typical. With the ball attached to the trailer you can stick a 2x2 up into the part that would go into your reviver on the truck to get enough leverage to actuate the brakes for testing and bleeding.