Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom skiing behind a 2005 VLX

snowlin

We grew up skiing and as adults have skied 7-10 times a year behind rented Sea Rays. We love to slalom, don't do courses but love cutting and putting up a big spray. We just bought a Malibu 2005VLX, it was an unbelievable deal, much less than the VTX so we went for it. Our thinking was if we are use to skiing behind an I/O the wake should be okay and we do have a couple of wake boarders. We just went out in it for the first time and I skied and was shocked at how big the wake was, it seemed much bigger than an I/O. We did have quite a few people in the boat. I am sitting here tonight with huge buyers remorse! My question, does anyone else slalom behind a VLX and will I get use to it? Any advice or should I start looking for another boat?

Before you dump the boat, try going out with just a driver and observer and put a little weight up in the bow. That will be about as good as you will get from that boat. See if it's acceptable to you. I don't ski behind V-drives (I have before, I won't again) but some people seem to be satisfied with the wake for slalom. To each his own. If you're a true slalom dog, you really should have a direct drive. :rockon:

We ski behind our vlx just fine. Take 15 off your rope, add some weight to the bow and get your speed up to 32-35mph. Much better ski wake than an I/0. Having a bunch of people in the boat will def affect wake.

When the water is glass I slalom behind my VLX and don't really mind the wake size. However, my father uses a wide ski and complained about the wake size. I ski at 36 mph and he is skiing down near 31 mph, so the wake is different between the two of us. I am not sure what speed you and your family ski at, but increasing the speed up around 34-36 mph should help with the wake size.

Just like Tims said take 15' off your rope and it should be very decent for slalom skiing. I started skiing in the course with my '97 VLX but the wake was only good at 15 off. Any fartherr back and is was 2 seperate big humps, any farther forward and it was one big spine.

VTX is a great boat. I had a 2011 with diamond hull. My opinion, you need to get your speed up to at least 32 to take advantage of the hull design when skiing. Don't want you to have remorse again if you decide to switch. If you primarily ski consider a DD.

Thanks everyone, I ski at 28 mph so will increase the speed and shorten the rope and take the advice of weight in the bow. I am feeling less discouraged!

I slalom ski behind an '06 21 LSV [with Diamond hull instead of your Wake hull]. To get an ideal wake for me, I have a fat sac brick

in the bow (I don't have built-in ballast), a quarter tank of gas, and just the driver in the boat. I also ski 15 off at 32 mph.

The last time I went out with my daughter, who had not skied all summer long, I thought I was being nice to her by slowing her speed down to 28 mph. She fell while crossing the wake and chewed me out because "the wake is too big." I bumped her up to 31 and

she was fine. So, there's a big difference in wake size, even with the Diamond hull, between 28 and 31-32 mph.

One other point is that, while the wake on your boat at 28 mph may look bigger than with an I/O, it is likely much softer (definitely

much softer on my boat, allowing me to stay on edge, as Cummins advised, and cut right through both wakes, something I could never

force myself to do with my I/Os because of the firm wakes and the elevated table between wakes).

Edited by srab

I slalom ski behind an '06 21 LSV [with Diamond hull instead of your Wake hull]. To get an ideal wake for me, I have a fat sac brick

in the bow (I don't have built-in ballast), a quarter tank of gas, and just the driver in the boat. I also ski 15 off at 32 mph.

The last time I went out with my daughter, who had not skied all summer long, I thought I was being nice to her by slowing her speed down to 28 mph. She fell while crossing the wake and chewed me out because "the wake is too big." I bumped her up to 31 and

she was fine. So, there's a big difference in wake size, even with the Diamond hull, between 28 and 31-32 mph.

One other point is that, while the wake on your boat at 28 mph may look bigger than with an I/O, it is likely much softer (definitely

much softer on my boat, allowing me to stay on edge, as Cummins advised, and cut right through both wakes, something I could never

force myself to do with my I/Os because of the firm wakes and the elevated table between wakes).

Thanks - we are going out again today and will up the speed and there will only be two people in the boat. I will also try staying on edge, I think I flattened out the ski before.

Snowlin, the VTX won't be that much different, we have been slalom skiers all our lives as well and like others said you will have to go to a direct drive to get a good slalom wake, I don't care if it has a 98 carrot Diamond hull, it won't work. It is like airplanes and helicopters, they both fly, but both have there purpose.

Snowlin, the VTX won't be that much different, we have been slalom skiers all our lives as well and like others said you will have to go to a direct drive to get a good slalom wake, I don't care if it has a 98 carrot Diamond hull, it won't work. It is like airplanes and helicopters, they both fly, but both have there purpose.

You conclude that from personal experience? There is a huge wake difference between a 2005 VLX and a diamond VTX, just as there is in a 2004 and prior sunscape and a 2005 VLX.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

If you are serious we may take you up on that is we can find a VTX. Where are you located?

I am located in Indianapolis, IN.. Please PM me if we can work out..

You conclude that from personal experience? There is a huge wake difference between a 2005 VLX and a diamond VTX, just as there is in a 2004 and prior sunscape and a 2005 VLX.

I completely agree with this. I had a 2006 VLX (same hull as the 2005 VLX) and now have a 2011 VTX with Cut Diamond hull. I could ski behind my VLX, but I didn't really enjoy it. The main reason I changed to the VTX was for the slalom wake, but still maintaining a good wakeboarding wake. I ski mainly behind my VTX and a friends' 94 Ski Nautique. They are different wakes, but I find them to be comparable in their 'skiability'.

Follow the advice on here for the VLX and it should make it so that you can ski behind the boat, but it is no comparison to the VTX with Cut Diamond hull.

85 Barefoot,

I do conclude that from experience and all you have to do is look at every ski club from Mexico to Canada, you would be hard presses to find many, if any that were skiing behind a VTX. I agree, they are fine if you are a recreational skier and you are not accelerating through the wake to get to the next ball. The VTX are just to heavy, a full tank of gas can affect a ski wake, I agree that they are an amazing wake for such a big boat.

My boat has a wedge and we can surf and wakeboard behind it, does that mean it is as good as a wakesetter? Not a chance!

85 Barefoot,

I do conclude that from experience and all you have to do is look at every ski club from Mexico to Canada, you would be hard presses to find many, if any that were skiing behind a VTX. I agree, they are fine if you are a recreational skier and you are not accelerating through the wake to get to the next ball. The VTX are just to heavy, a full tank of gas can affect a ski wake, I agree that they are an amazing wake for such a big boat.

My boat has a wedge and we can surf and wakeboard behind it, does that mean it is as good as a wakesetter? Not a chance!

I never said a VTX is as good as a response. You said you have to have a dd to have a "good" slalom wake and that a VTX won't be different for the OP behind his 2005 VLX. That's just not correct. I have spent a significant amount of time in the course with a sunscape and while its not as nice as our club response, its certainly "good", especially for someone who last skied behind an I/O like the OP.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I don't think the OP mentioned anything about course skiing.

For recreational skiing a diamond hull VTX is a great option. Certainly better than a VLX!!

Not all v-drives are the same. That's a bit of a generalization if you ask me.

Fill any boat full of bodies and it's not going to be much fun to ski behind.

Edited by notorious_benny

Its kind of like politics or religion, what one person thinks or likes may be different then the next person. Do like others have said and try out as many options as necessary until you find the one that you like, and best meets your families needs. Main thing is to have fun!