Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Tire Advice - 14 and 15 inch content only

bhwakeboarder

So my original TrailAmerica trailer tires on my 2008 Boatmate are starting to show signs of cracking in their 5th season of use and I need to replace them. No real complaints about the TA tires and Boatmate sells them, but I just want to run something different. They are 205/70R14 load C radials. I'm debating on staying with the 5 star aluminum 14" wheels and doing new tires, or upgrading to 15' wheel/tire combo. I'm NOT going with 18 inch rims, new trailer fenders, etc. Hell, I dont' even have rims on any of our cars, don't need them on the boat trailer. Also not going with Goodyear or Carlisle from the horror stories I've read. I've searched extensively on this subject on here and I've decided on the options below.

1.) Kumho 857 load D trailer tires in 205R14 for $570.72 shipped from tirerack.com, then have to pay mount, balance and tax locally to install them. I'm assuming at least $60. Lets say total is $625 to keep it simple. Kumho link.

2.) Load C Maxxis M8008 215/75R14 for $591.48 out the door installed locally from discount tire. Maxxis link.

3.) ecustomhitch.com. Their 14" 205/75R14 Load C bias trailer tires run right at $312 shipped. So with local mount balance around $372. Ecustom 14" tire link.

4.) Upsize to 15" wheel/tire package in load C from ecustomhitch. They have a more stylish 15" black wheel/chrome lip with load C tires for $707 shipped and they are already mounted. Black wheel option 1 link. They have 15" black 5 spoke "steelie"wheels with load C tires for $550 shipped already mounted. Black steelie link. ecustomhitch has bias or radial options with bias being cheaper, radial being about $10 more per tire. It seems like radial is more popular? I'd love insight on pro's and cons of bias and radial from those with experience.

A part of me wants to go the 15" steelie package route because of price, looks and better availability of tires in load D when I replace tires again down the road. My 2008 vlx is all black with two vapor blue stripes in the hull, so I'm thinking simple black steel wheels on it would look pretty unique. I'm thinking, keep one of my 14"s as a spare for long trips, then sell the other 3 14"s on craigslist for around $200. I figure they would make someone with a single axle a good two wheel/tire with spare package. Thoughts?

Boat4.jpg

i was in just about your exact situation this summer.

I went with the 14" Kumho and had them mounted and balanced at Big O tire.

The tires look great and are noticeably heavier and better treaded than the TrailAmerica's that came on the trailer.

If you go with the 15's, watch the overall tire height. The Kumho tires were about 2" taller overall (1" less clearance on the fender), so watch how much bigger the 15's are are you could have even less.

As far as using the 14 as a spare, I would be cautious. That will make the axles ride at different heights, and I don't know what it would so to their alignment if you went a long way.

i was in just about your exact situation this summer.

I went with the 14" Kumho and had them mounted and balanced at Big O tire.

The tires look great and are noticeably heavier and better treaded than the TrailAmerica's that came on the trailer.

I just did the same. Got a set from Les Schwab and haven't looked back. I was running the POS Carlisle 235/60/14's and these fit without modifying anything. Love the load range, 2271lb a tire and speed rated for 99mph (I'll never tow that fast, but do drive on interstates that are 70+).

martinarcher

I also did the same a few weeks ago. I ordered 5 of the Kuhmo 857s from Tire Rack. They were just over $700 shipped and were totally worth it. Very nice tires. The local guys that mounted them were pretty impressed to find that there was a load range D tire in a 14" rim size.

Must be in the air, My original tires only lasted 2 and a 1/2 seasons, My best friend owns a tire shop and he set me up with 14" Tow Master's, said they have had really good reviews on them, I put the same on my 04 and they lasted twice as long as my stock tires, I think they were around 100.00 per tire mounted and balanced...