Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20 MXZ - oh yea!

bamabonners

The boat looks great and the wakes look awesome but that cockpit looks way too small, even with the 100" beam. The VTX has much more cockpit room then that. I think it's great that Malibu now has a full pickle fork line with 20, 22, and 24 foot options to compete with all the MC models. And I can understand they wanted the entire MXZ line to have the transom seats, but they should have made the transom seat area smaller on the 20' so the cockpit wasn't so cramped. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Now that they have the pickle fork line all done, maybe they will be refreshing the VLX and LSV lines in the next couple years. I can see it now: 2015 VLX, updated wake hull, 102" beam, built in Igloo cooler, flip-up rear facing seats, hinged seat bases, bow anchor storage, updated styling, more factory ballast... :thumbup:

Edited by Brett B

Check out the flip up bow seatbacks! That's new for Malibu and should help with the storage, but explains the smaller cockpit area a bit (if the under dash area is larger)

20MXZ_BowStorage.jpg

20MXZ_ObStorage.jpg

I like the boat, but like fman said, you can only get do so much out of 20 feet.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison between the 20 mxz, the tige RZR, and the X2. The x2 seems to have more storage and the rzr seems to have more interior space.

Edited by bamabonners

Great point Brett about the rear transom seats... prob not a great idea for a 20' boat. They could have used that transom seat space for more lounge area which would make a huge difference in space. It almost reminds me of a mini cooper, cool car, but so limited on uses with a family. Maybe this 20 mxz target market is for the dinks... dual income and no kids... im sure there dog will fit in there fine.

How could you not see this when designing a boat? After looking at the pics again, that lounge area is really small. They lost what looks like a good 10-12" of space with the rear transon seat.

Edited by Fman

I don't follow the criticisms of small interior. 1) its's a 20 foot boat 2) if you want a 20 footer that has more cabin space, get a VTX or A20. You cna't compare this to an RZR for example. If you're going to do that, you need to use the VTX. This is a NEW model, not a replacement for anything. If you want a 20 footer with pickle, rear social area, now you have an option. Prefer more classic proportions, get a VTX. I'm glad to see them incorporate the MXZ rear seating. It goes with the MXZ line. Need more cabin space, get a 22 or 24. Was anyone expecting something different?

As I already ordered that thing I´m glad to finally see some pictures. And this thing looks awesome, really looking forward to getting it.

Yes, the interior looks a lot smaller than on my VLX and initially I was a little concerned about it. But then I remembered that I ride off a dock so I usually dont carry a lot of people. Therefore I think it will be just fine. But if i could choose i would agree to shorten the rear transom seats in favor of some more interior space.

In case of storage its the same here. I only carry some different ropes and handles. and im sure that they will fit somewhere in that thing! But i would definitely ditch that stupid cooler. But as it is removable anyway i think it will stay in my garage so instead i have room for my handles and stuff.

You can't compare this to an RZR for example. If you're going to do that, you need to use the VTX.

Why not compare it to RZR? It is a pickle fork 20 footer for wakeboarding and surfing - same as MXZ. It seems to me that is a direct competitor. :dontknow:

Edited by bamabonners

No criticism, just observations...it looks much smaller than the mastercraft x-2 and rzr. I am assuming this is who Malibu is competing against with the mxz.... Definitely has the cool factor, but the lounge area looks excessively small for a 20' boat. The seat behind the driver looks like it would barely fit an adult.

Maybe seeing in person will change the space perception. Looking at the adult in the picture just makes the lounge area appear to be very limited on space and storage.

Why not compare it to RZR? It is a pickle fork 20 footer for wakeboarding and surfing - same as MXZ. It seems to me that is a direct competitor. :dontknow:

Because look at the bow of an RZR, the shape and size is totally "conventional" triangle. Just added 2 fiberglass points on the bow and look how narrow the tige is, just 94 inches.

Bottom line, is the 20 a small cabin, yes. Is that a surprise given the other design features that had to be included in any MXZ addition, not really.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I don't follow the criticisms of small interior. 1) its's a 20 foot boat 2) if you want a 20 footer that has more cabin space, get a VTX or A20. You cna't compare this to an RZR for example. If you're going to do that, you need to use the VTX. This is a NEW model, not a replacement for anything. If you want a 20 footer with pickle, rear social area, now you have an option. Prefer more classic proportions, get a VTX. I'm glad to see them incorporate the MXZ rear seating. It goes with the MXZ line. Need more cabin space, get a 22 or 24. Was anyone expecting something different?

Try to follow this. THE TRANSOM SEAT IS WAY TOO BIG. The seating in the cabin is way too small....

I think what you mean is, for your needs, the transom too big and the cabin too small? If you want a 20 foot boat you have TWO OTHER OPTIONS to forego transom seat and pick up cabin space. Why the negativity about something that broadens options, and takes nothing away from the current lineup?

Despite my comment about the cabin space I think that overall the boat does look really well done. The exterior proportions look real good. The interior vinyl designs look nice and modern without looking too busy (like Tige sometimes does). The wakes look great and the video was also well done, makes me want to ride! Good job Malibu, I am sure people considering the X2 will take a serious look at the MXZ 20 if the price is right.

Anyone wonder how much ballast they are running in that thing to get those wakes? You can see the difference in where the wakesetter logo is. Ballast plus 6 adults. Sorry for the blur, I took that one off the video before he rides

DD81667D-CAE1-42FB-8C52-7E4C8F5A5CC1-96494-000004A84B04A26F.jpg

9B985AEB-8F82-47D0-81BD-E6009C59FC71-96494-000004A6583665DE.jpg

Edited by wakebrdr94

Is it just me, or do the smaller boats (20-21') look so much sexier than the bigger ones. They look like tight little sports cars.

So true, didn't think I would like it but Malibu knocked it out of the park. If this one comes on a diamond hull... Hmmmm?

Edited by CumminsBu

Is it just me, or do the smaller boats (20-21') look so much sexier than the bigger ones. They look like tight little sports cars.

So true, didn't think I would like it but Malibu knocked it out of the park. If this one comes on a diamond hull... Hmmmm?

I thought EXACTLY the same when I saw that picture below.

An MXZ with Diamond hull and no tower would make a very sleek slalom machine ... :drool::drool::drool:

RedBullWakeOpenBOATpodium.jpg