Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu dropped Commercial Sewing factory cover?

bamabonners

So malibu replaced my discolored vinyl AND sent me a new factory cover (A big thank you to my dealer, Pirates Cove Marine!!). I hated the previous factory cover from Commercial Sewing, but I figured since it was free I would take it.

I opened up the box and guess what, it wasn't a commercial sewing cover. It was a Sunbrella material cover from Great Lakes Boat Top. Seems like a very high quality cover.

The cover seems more like a towing cover than the previous Commercial Sewing cover.

A few changes from the commercial sewing cover:

there is a flap covering the hole around and through the G3 tower legs. It has velco and a strap with a buckle.

The winch at the back is not in a cheaep black bag with a piece of velcro to hold it down. The winch in enclosed in a large pocket on the transom that closes with very thick velcro surrounding the pocket. Definately will not scratch boat if towing.

The split in the cover on the sides where it goes around the tower is much cleaner looking and had very heavy duty velco.

All seems are double stitched and feels and looks like a much better job.

Overall, very surprised and pleased with the new cover. Will post pics when I get it put on.

Edited by bamabonners
  • Like 2

Wow...I'm jealous, my factory cover will be modified soon. The space around the tower is ridiculously over complicated. That design is perfect, and was what I had in mind to do to mine. After seeing it, I have to cut/ sew mine into shape.

Looks like a nice cover. Night and day compared to the other one. I thought you had a blue one made?

I still have it. I will use this one for towing or overnight trips and the blue one for storage.

Would you go with the GL Bimini too?

I always do, but I am a believer in the Sunbrella, and believe Great Lakes does a great job on all their products. Keep in mind that if you want a matching color your dealer will need to order direct. To help ensure that the interior vinyl never gets too hot I believe Malibu has gone back to offering only Cadet Grey from the factory.

Peter

I wish the Malibu covers had a opening for the cleats like the MC covers. Would be very helpful.

I don't know if Commercial Sewing makes the cleat cutout rings that comes with their covers, or they purchase them somewhere, but I will say they work great. It's a rubber type material sized to the cleats, with a pre-molded stitch ring. Mark your cover of choice with it's cleat locations, and any canvas shop can simply stitch these in. Clean and simple.

Peter

My 2012 came with the Great Lakes cover and I have been very happy with it. Mine has a large pad of soft white material sewn into the underside of the cover where it sits on the sun pad. This should help with any vinyl discoloration problems, but mine rarely sits outside so I haven't tested it.

The cover does a good job of keeping the rain out but it will still let water in near the tower legs during a very heavy storm.

If you have dark colored gel you may still want to spend 5 minutes wrapping saran-wrap above the rub rail if you are going to tow a long distance, as the cover does still rub a little bit a highway speeds. But using the saran wrap method I have had no problems towing with the cover.

Edited by Brett B

Great Lakes uses standard snap-in-to-cover poles, adjustable height, from bow to stern. For example, you might see 3 in a 23LSV, and possibly 4 in a 247.

Peter

I never like the material the CS covers were made of. Short of going with an EVO cover, I think the Great Lakes is the way to go.

Also the cadet grey comment is interesting. It seems like black has been the way to go in the past few years, but I keep hearing of people having issues if the boat cooks out in the sun.

Comments on color Peter?

Great Lakes uses standard snap-in-to-cover poles, adjustable height, from bow to stern. For example, you might see 3 in a 23LSV, and possibly 4 in a 247.

Peter

3 in VLX. the pics above are with no poles.

I don't know if Commercial Sewing makes the cleat cutout rings that comes with their covers, or they purchase them somewhere, but I will say they work great. It's a rubber type material sized to the cleats, with a pre-molded stitch ring. Mark your cover of choice with it's cleat locations, and any canvas shop can simply stitch these in. Clean and simple.

Peter

Oh cool. Thanks for the info Peter.

I have a set I'll send you if you can use them, they have to be installed as Peter stated.

PM sent.

These are good covers, but make sure the poles are sturdy & won't move. Evidently, I didn't have one of my poles in just right & it slipped during a rainstorm...now my cover has a 6" hole in it where it tore away from the seam because of the water weight.