Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Salt Water

Looking at possibly buying a 2006 Malibu with under 70 hours. It has been in salt water. How bad is this for the engine? What should I inspect and/or expect? Or should I just run? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Looking at possibly buying a 2006 Malibu with under 70 hours. It has been in salt water. How bad is this for the engine? What should I inspect and/or expect? Or should I just run? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Run

Why only 70 hours would be my first question. Did they flush it with fresh water after every outing? Look at every piece of hardware for rust, corrosion, pitting, chalky build-up, etc. No matter what the price, I would have marine mechanic look it over before hand. Money talks...

Does the boat have either a closed/half loop cooling system? Probably not. This would make a difference. If not, is there a flush valve installed in the raw water suction hose? If not, ask the owner where is the fake-a-lake (or equivalent)? i.e., how did he flush? If the owner is not knowledgeable about any of this, then NOT good. Yes, having a good marine mechanic do all engine checks (compression, cylinder leakage, etc.) and a extensive trial run would be essential. Price also matters, although as many here will say, if it's messed up it's messed up at any price (speaking from my own experience).

Speaking as someone that operates their boat on the saltwater exclusively, if the guy has done the proper maintenance and care I wouldn't hesitate.

Deal breakers for me would be if there was no closed cooling (half or full loop) on the boat. If it has closed cooling and the seller can give you details of what his operating and maintenance routine is for operating on salt and everything else checks out than I wouldn't worry. There are millions of boats that operate in salt water and they are fine! However maintenance on salt water is different than on fresh water.

Here is what I would look for.

What motor does it have? This is not an issue if the boat has a full loop closed cooling system. If it has a half loop eventually the exhaust manifolds will have to be replaced (though if the boat only has 70hrs might not be for a long time). ETX/CAT manifolds are pricey to replace like 1K per manifold. If it has the LCR motor than you can always replace the manifolds with the OE ones which are in the $300 to $500 range I think or you can upgrade to stainless steal and never have to replace again. If you are just operating the boat on fresh water than just get the OE and forget about it.

In salt the manifolds will last 5 to 7 years.

You might also check if the guy has zinc's installed anywhere. I have em on my rudder and swim step brackets. I used to have one on the prop shaft too. Is the guy anal about his boat. You will get an idea about this by talking to him and by looking at his boat. I am anal and besides some cosmetic stuff like light pitting on board racks, speaker mounts on my tower and chrome on dash which you can't see unless you look closely I would put my boat up against any fresh water boat as far as how good it looks. I have heard guys on this forum that operate in fresh water that say they have pitting on their boats. Regardless these are minor things and can be replaced if it really bothers you.

What trailer does he have? What condition is it in. Is it galvanized or not?

Honestly, if the boat has closed cooling, the guy has taken care of his boat and he is willing to work with you in regards to price than I would not be afraid. Get it checked by your local dealer or mechanic.

My point being I wouldn't just assume that because it was operated on salt water it is messed up. If the previous owner took proper care of it could be a great boat for years to come!

Edited by oceanbu
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. Here is the boat. http://washingtondc....3226617549.html

It definitely has some corrosion on the bezel and wakesetter emblems. Im guessing if its there, it is probably other places as well.

It doesn't have a closed cooling system. It has a flush connection at the rear of the boat.

Edited by B_loc1

Don't forget about the trailer!!! From what I've seen people will do a good job on the flushing of the boat but completely neglect the trailer. For example wheel bearings and brake lines will be the first to go out.

Edited by TackybutGlassy