Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What to do if you don't have a driver!

malcontent

That idea has made it to market before.

We've discussed it a few times. There are inherent problems with the design.

I forget what it used to be called, something like "the solo"?

Here's a bad pic. of one being towed down the freeway.

docd.jpg

Like Pete said, it's been around. The guy who brought it to market was a crook.

At one point I was invited to a gig at the Lake Sammamish State Park boat ramp. They were releasing the product & had Gerry Nunn, Mike Murphy & a handful of the Seattle area dealers there to check it out. Anyone remember Doug from Doug's Boats? He is kind of a big guy, 240 or 250 maybe. Skis on those fat kid skis. He gets out there behind it, just off the boat ramp, gives it gas to get him up, kind of wobbles back & forth like inexperienced slalom skiers do, removes one hand from the handle to steady himself, and holds the handle in one hand with the throttle pegged forward & hard right. The Solo makes a giant looping turn around to the right & then straight back at the ramp. It throttled straight up the concrete ramp, flipped over & wound up to about 11000 RPMs...... then the little flag flipped up. It was a friggen riot. :rofl:

A couple years later I was at a Mastercraft dealership grand opening party, talking to their new service manager & the topic came up that he had previously been the production manager of this particular product. I guess he left the company because of all the conflict going on at the time. At some point this other guy came up behind us & said, "You were involved with that company? They owe me money." More conflict, right there at the party. :Doh:

Good luck with it. All kinds of legalities involved, not just in the business end of it, but even in the running of it on the lake. :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

Like Pete said, it's been around. The guy who brought it to market was a crook.

At one point I was invited to a gig at the Lake Sammamish State Park boat ramp. They were releasing the product & had Gerry Nunn, Mike Murphy & a handful of the Seattle area dealers there to check it out. Anyone remember Doug from Doug's Boats? He is kind of a big guy, 240 or 250 maybe. Skis on those fat kid skis. He gets out there behind it, just off the boat ramp, gives it gas to get him up, kind of wobbles back & forth like inexperienced slalom skiers do, removes one hand from the handle to steady himself, and holds the handle in one hand with the throttle pegged forward & hard right. The Solo makes a giant looping turn around to the right & then straight back at the ramp. It throttled straight up the concrete ramp, flipped over & wound up to about 11000 RPMs...... then the little flag flipped up. It was a friggen riot. :rofl:

A couple years later I was at a Mastercraft dealership grand opening party, talking to their new service manager & the topic came up that he had previously been the production manager of this particular product. I guess he left the company because of all the conflict going on at the time. At some point this other guy came up behind us & said, "You were involved with that company? They owe me money." More conflict, right there at the party. :Doh:

Great story, LMAO!!!!

Good luck with it. All kinds of legalities involved, not just in the business end of it, but even in the running of it on the lake. :crazy:

My buddy has done a couple demos on this thing. His review of it was pretty funny. "i am really good at wakeboarding and really good at video games and if i couldnt make it work who can."

One of the big issues they had to deal with years ago was with the wiring inside the handle. With guys like Gerry & Mike riding it, and doing tons of inverts behind it, the wires would twist up & break, making the thing just go dead........ or worse, work intermittently.

When Mike would crash, he would just not let go of the handle, but release the throttle. That way he didn't have to swim for the thing with a SkySki strapped to his butt. Just right himself & hit it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky