Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 MXZ Spray Gate

pkh

The only two MXZ vids I can find the Surf Gate is creating a spray across the wave disrupting it, this doesn't seem to happen in the VLX or LSV vids.

I noticed the SG has a notch in it on the MXZ to accomodate the shape of the MXZ hull, whereas the other SG's are more rectangular. Maybe this is the culprit?

30VTXStarSurfGateMedium.jpg

surfgate2.jpeg?dl=1

Waiting for the first post of one of these breaking off or malfunctioning, that looks like a lot of pressure on those when fully deployed. I hope Malibu tested this more than the MTC. If I were going to order surfgate I would wait for 2014 when all the bugs are worked out, and maybe some rear facing seating! :) crickets... crickets....

That was my thought too. Let the warranty costs drive the changes to increase the robustness of the designs (ie replace the plastic strut attachments with ss) before purchasing.

My boat sits on a covered hoist but the transom still always get sun. The UV stabilizers in plastics are a big help but eventually the plastic will fail.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

The video of gate with the spray off the top appears to be mis-weighted. Surf Gate is awesome, but people still need to ballast their boat correctly. Too much weight in the rear will typicallly wash out the top edge, and cause the platform or gates to dig too much. One needs to think about pushing the entire boat into the water, and each model may require more or less fore or aft, but with Surf Gate you want to do it evenly side to side.

With some of the larger boats, and those with more natural weight up front, you can load the rear more heavily, but the VTX, VLX and even the 23 like a balanced diet.

Peter :)

Thanks Peter - the latest VLX and LSV vids are looking really good with SG. Still haven't seen a good MXZ one yet, hopefully someone gets it dialed as if I get a new boat I'd love to go pickle.

No problems here. In fact its as simple as unweighting the rear lockers and shifting that weight to the mid or front areas. Performed that experiment the first week I had the MXZ and dialed it in then so that the face of the wave was unhindered by the time summer hit. Pretty consistent now but I could see how a first time owner or someone playing with the SG or the surfwave the first couple times out would make that mistake.

As others said, it looks like too much rear weight or too much wedge causing the rear to dig in too much. Add more weight in the nose, or take weight out of the rear, to change the attitude of the boat.

No problems here. In fact its as simple as unweighting the rear lockers and shifting that weight to the mid or front areas. Performed that experiment the first week I had the MXZ and dialed it in then so that the face of the wave was unhindered by the time summer hit. Pretty consistent now but I could see how a first time owner or someone playing with the SG or the surfwave the first couple times out would make that mistake.

Thanks for sharing your input. Do you happen to have any pictures or videos of your dialed in MXZ w/ SG?

I own a 2012 so needless to say I dont have the SG. The point is, I can tell by looking at the wave and recalling what mine was like the first week I owned it that its a ballast issue that can be easily resolved. Most of these videos are simply shot the first or second time out on the boat with SG deployed. Once its dialed in there will almost certainly be no spray across the wave.

What ballast configuration have you found to work the best for surfing, I just bought a MXZ and have been tinkering with configs. to try and find the best set-up.

You guys are missing the point, not talking about 2012 boats here talking about 2013 boats with Surfgate. There is also a unique "notch" taken out of the gate on the MXZ to accomodate the way the hull is shaped.

Just haven't seen any good vids of an MXZ Surfgate wave yet, I would love to be proved wrong!

I don't think anybody is missing the point. I saw the videos, I can see the notch on the MXZ. In the video of the black/orange MXZ it looks like the rear of the boat is too heavy, causing too much water to come up over the top of the gate, thus causing the spray. With more wieght in the nose (or less in the rear) the water won't come over top of the gate like that. The swim platform looks like it is also completely destroying the top of the wave which also points to being too rear heavy. Just my 2 cents.

The Brian Grubb video is of a 23LSV, so if you are seeing spray on that one it's not due to the slightly different shape of the gate on the MXZ.

• 2 weeks later...

But is the spray affecting the surfabitlity of the wave? It doens't look like it, other than the fact that it's not visually appealing so you don't have a nice clean "looking" wave. Is that water spraying at the very front of the wave affecting anything?

But is the spray affecting the surfabitlity of the wave? It doens't look like it, other than the fact that it's not visually appealing so you don't have a nice clean "looking" wave. Is that water spraying at the very front of the wave affecting anything?

My thoughts exactly.

If you buy a Ferrari and don't drive it properly, it's not the Ferrari's fault.

If you buy a Wakeboard - Surf boat and don't weight it properly, it's not the boat's fault.

Peter.