Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need to move from beginner wakesurf board to...

SM5654

I have been wakesurfing for about a year now and need to move from the Hyperlite Broadcast I learned on to something faster down the line. I'm to the point where I can almost pull off a 360 but I can't ride out... I've heard from several people and read multiple reviews that my board pretty much blows. I'm looking for the crews' opinions on which board would the next best step. I'm about 5'7 and weigh around 150 or so. I'm looking for a board that can help me move from my intermediate level to an advanced rider. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions and experiences.

I too learned on the Broadcast and it sounds like we are about the same skill level ( I can get around on the 360, just haven't rode it out yet). At the end of the season last year I switched to the 4'10" Ronix One Skimmer and I and my whole crew love it. It is super maneuverable and it loves to spin. I'm 6'1" 230lbs, but there are people in my crew that are about your size and they love this board, however, you may want to try the 4'4" Skimmer. A friend of mine and one of the members (-BS-) on here liked my board so much that he bought one. He's a better rider than I am so maybe he will chime in and tell you what he likes about it. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HkksFomqo8.

I'm your size and ride the 50" Victoria Factor PCX. Other good boards for guys our size are the Phase 5 Danielo Diamond 51", Phase 5 Danielo Pro 51", Victoria Factor 50", Victoria Agent 51", and Inland Keenan Flegel Pro Model.

The Victoria Factor is a killer board and is only $380. And it blows away the wakeboard brand boards.

Phase 5 is made in Florida and Victoria is made in California. Gotta love USA made boards!

Mitch,

I'm in the same boat (bad pun) as these other guys and am looking for a new board. Currently I'm riding a Liquid Force custom 4'-2" and I'm about 165 pounds and have the 360 spin down but can't ride it out.

Do you think the Victoria Factor would be a good choice? How does it hold up to boat abuse?

Thanks for the advice.

Really looking forward to feedback on this topic. I am completely clueless on what board I need to start doing more tricks. I currently have an Inland Surfer Blue Lake V2 Quad Fin. Have no idea what to get and no time to try them all out.

I'm 5'7 150-160 lbs and ride a 4'2 Walker Porjects Signature Series. Getting this board was the biggest overnight improvement to my surfing I've made since the day I first dropped the rope. I went from the Hyperlite Broadcast as well and could just barely ride away from the odd 360 and almost instantly started sticking 9 out of 10 360's and was able to stall my 3's and get actual air off the wave.

The Factor uses E-Glass fiberglass and the Factor PCX uses Carbon Fiber. The PCX is all carbon fiber too, not just the deck. It makes it stiffer and snappier for airs.

The boards are as durable as any non-compression molded skimboard. I always keep it in a boardsock to protect it from the sun and dings.

The Triple X Comp X is a decent entry level skim, but isnt as responsive or fast as what I like. The rest of the line up is surf style, and Ive only been talking about skim style. But if you're looking to spin, I wouldnt look at surf style besides Walker Project or Soulcraft. They arent as hard to spin compared to most surf style boards.

Edited by wakemitch

The Factor uses E-Glass fiberglass and the Factor PCX uses Carbon Fiber. The PCX is all fiber glass too, not just the deck. It makes it stiffer and snappier for airs.

The boards are as durable as any non-compression molded skimboard. I always keep it in a boardsock to protect it from the sun and dings.

The Triple X Comp X is a decent entry level skim, but isnt as responsive or fast as what I like. The rest of the line up is surf style, and Ive only been talking about skim style. But if you're looking to spin, I wouldnt look at surf style besides Walker Project or Soulcraft. They arent as hard to spin compared to most surf style boards.

This is what I did I took it in steps and did my homework started out with a Mucus fast, big, stable, can do a 360 almost everyone rides no hands by the end of the day. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2807 Then went to a Nitro faster, smaller, loose, can do 360 and really play. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2817 Last skim board Victoria Factor PCX Great board but still learning to ride it. I will say, to this day I love to ride all three of these boards they are all very different boards and different style, I believe I will love riding all three as long as I ride.

What I am getting at is you may want to move to a board like the Nitro next I'm not on the same level as wakemitch trust me but I'm glad I did it like this so I could love to ride the Nitro if not I would probably have never wanted to learn it. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure you will get way more input.

I have a 5' Triple X Nitro - I like the board but as my first board and only one I have ever been on, I have no reference for comparison. It is easy to ride and control but I'm not a the level to do much other than cut up and down the wake at this point.

If you can get close to a 360 on the Broadcast, you are doing very well. I actually think it's a great starter board for a lot of reasons.

The The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread has tons of reviews on different boards, including many of the ones mentioned here. You can get a lot of info there on options, pros and cons, prices, etc.

I've had mixed success with our new boards, but each one has allowed to progress in different ways. The main thin you need to decide is if you want to pursue skim style tricks or surf style tricks next. After that, there's always the next board... :D