Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When will this be an engine option?

Tims

A couple years back mastercraft offered a vw 3l tdi in their prostar boats. I think it had over 200 hp but had lots of low end grunt. I suspect it was only popular for European sales. I'd be interested in driving one.

Someone at Malibu told me they shipped a Wakesetter (not sure which model) to some guy in Europe with a Diesel in it. So it has been done. With enough money you can do anything.

That boat also couldn't integrate with the rest of the boat (ie malivue, speed control, etc.) and the reason he wanted it was because it was on a yacht and could use diesel on the boat since it would otherwise not have access to gas.

Here in Europe I've seen some ski boats with diesels, but only exotic brands such as UK built Craig Craft. They offered a 6 in line turbo charged Steyr diesel. Good for a ski school but useless for footin. If I could get an engine with similar specs as my Hammerhead, running on diesel, I'd go for it. Diesel is much cheaper in most European countries and for sure the boat would be much more economical.

Many people here run their v8's on liquid propane gas. I had a Barefoot Nautique for many years with Chevy 454 on LPG. Lost a couple of horses, but the LPG is sooooooo much cheaper than gas.... You guys don't know how lucky you are with US gas prices...!!!

The Cherokee diesel is already available ...in Canada anyway? I have an 06 Liberty Diesel(wifes I drive 2010 F150) which has been a good.

That was a one year limited run.

The Cherokee is being released for 2013 model year. as of right now we do already build diesel Jeeps, but they are no able to meet US spec.

Yes, the Cherokee, and Wrangler, both already have diesels but only for overseas and places not as stringent as the United States.

The new Cherokee CRD is our return to the diesel passenger arena.

Here in Europe I've seen some ski boats with diesels, but only exotic brands such as UK built Craig Craft. They offered a 6 in line turbo charged Steyr diesel. Good for a ski school but useless for footin. If I could get an engine with similar specs as my Hammerhead, running on diesel, I'd go for it. Diesel is much cheaper in most European countries and for sure the boat would be much more economical.

Many people here run their v8's on liquid propane gas. I had a Barefoot Nautique for many years with Chevy 454 on LPG. Lost a couple of horses, but the LPG is sooooooo much cheaper than gas.... You guys don't know how lucky you are with US gas prices...!!!

I thought there was a h.p. BOOST with propane (something like 15%) and I've seen a conversion kit on a 24ish cruiser with an I/O. I always pondered doing something like that, but I think I'll just go strait to burning Hydrogen, you know, separating the lake water (in real rime) into it's component parts; burn the hydrogen and outgas the oxygen... (did I mention in real time, like at 40 mph?) My designs on a coffee stained napkin somewhere... :biggrin:

Edited by DWhynot

I thought there was a h.p. BOOST with propane (something like 15%) and I've seen a conversion kit on a 24ish cruiser with an I/O. I always pondered doing something like that, but I think I'll just go strait to burning Hydrogen, you know, separating the lake water (in real rime) into it's component parts; burn the hydrogen and outgas the oxygen... (did I mention in real time, like at 40 mph?) My designs on a coffee stained napkin somewhere... :biggrin:

My experience is that you always loose horses. And it's not so good for the valves as the LPG burns hotter and leaner. My Chevy 454 had quite a few issues...... What I saved on gas, I spent on maintenance and repair.......

jkendallmsce

There is a decrease of 15-20% depending in the application. Gasoline is about 110,000 btu while diesel is about 134,000 btu...the big reason why diesel gets better mileage..also contributing is deiiferent design,which is mainly compression.

ANd other problems swithcing to propane/LPG....mainly moisture issues and more corrosive or hard on the rubber components.

If they could just get the design from the Star Trek folks and install some kinda warp drive using those lithium crystals. we'd all be better off....Anyone have a time machine??

Edited by jkendallmsce

If the LPG (propane) is liquid injected then there will be a gain in HP. The cooling effect of the liquid expanding into vapour increases the density of the air/fuel charge.

The more common vapour injection LPG system's means there is very small (less than 10%) loss in power on LPG and a slight increase in consumption, my tow vehicle runs on LPG, its very cheap to run with power that most affordable diesels here in Australia cannot provide. As for valve wear, a valve saver lube kit is all thats required.....

The biggest problem with LPG in a boat would have to be having to trailer it to a station to fill it up.

If that VW left a bad taste in your mouth, I am glad you did not have to drive the GM diesel in 1982. It was converted from a gas 402 Olds engine to run diesel. It was such a POS that many argue it was responsible for killing the diesel engine in America. Many of those engines lost their main seals on the way home from the dealership.

Drive one of the new Audi/VW diesels and it is hard not to be impressed. I drove an Audi with the 4.2L turbo diesel while on business in Germany and could not get enough.

IIRC they converted Gas engines to Diesel, another briilliant GM milestone. Remember the Gentleman Jim Pickup ?

Edited by LS-One

IIRC they converted Gas engines to Diesel, another briilliant GM milestone. Remember the Gentleman Jim Pickup ?

I remember......That's old school. You could take your wife to the ball and haul hay at the same time. We would probably still be driving them if it was not for the Japanese forcing us into action.

Another point not mentioned as of yet, what is the RPM range of the new direct inject diesels? Would we be losing all the top-end speed for hole shot?