Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When will this be an engine option?

Tims

Dear Malibu,

When will you start offering this type of powerplant in your boats?

4.2L TDI wiht 350hp at the prop and more importantly around 500+ pound feet of torque!

30% to 50% more efficient then the GM gassers

Clean diesel technology with no diesel smoke or smell

Quiet as a gas engine

Nice and heavy (yes weight in the back is a good thing for wakeboard boats!!)

Great durability

No more arguing about which old technology GM engine works best

Where are the negatives? Cost??? If I am debating to pay an extra 10K+ for an upgraded engine, well then I want a real upgrade. This engine is already a proven in marine applications so I know it can be done. Am I missing something?

post-7583-0-67900600-1345645716_thumb.jp

Edited by Tims
  • Like 2

remember we are in america, and here we are scared of diesel engines. you mean those big smelly noisy things is garbage trucks.

how about the v10 tdi that used to be in the tourage or a duramax

I have the little brother to the 4.2tdi in my Touareg (3.0 tdi) and I absolutely love that engine. 400+ pound feet of torque, 0-60 in under 7 seconds, 32mpg on the highway, cleaner than a gas engine, and quiet. The Duramax is a great choice as well, but might be a little overkill from a size perspective.

These boats continue to get bigger and heaver but we are left wiht the same powerplant choices. Sad.

Yeah I have a 2007 jeep grand cherokee diesel. Absolutly love it and pulls my bu like a champ. Would be great to have it in my boat.

I know next to nothing about engines but I can second the need for a more powerful engine. Especially with how heavy the boats are getting. Not to mention i run a fair amount of weight in my boat.

My order of preference for engines has always been 1) diesel 2) large displacement gas 3) see no. 1.

Then after much thought and some experience, I have been able to get my brain wrapped around the V-6 Ford 3.5 L Ecoboost. More power than my previous 6.2 L GMC at an RPM low enough that it should make Mr. Diesel nervous.

any idea if something like the Ecoboost will ever make it into a boat?

• Like 2

My order of preference for engines has always been 1) diesel 2) large displacement gas 3) see no. 1.

Then after much thought and some experience, I have been able to get my brain wrapped around the V-6 Ford 3.5 L Ecoboost. More power than my previous 6.2 L GMC at an RPM low enough that it should make Mr. Diesel nervous.

I've been wondering the same.

When will it be an option?

Probably a couple years after they build a 1/2 ton truck/SUV with the same engine. :Doh:

Doubt that will happen any time soon either.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2

The drawback to the ecoboost is that it doesn't sound powerful. It is almost an electric motor. I would miss the burble of the V-8, and would have to plumb a V-8 sound into the background of my boat stereo before I could be happy with a Malibu Ecoboost option.

• Like 2

I work for Vw and love the tdi but not sure it will happen anytime soon!!! Oh yea the jeep has had a diesel in it in the states for years it's called the overlander!!

It really all comes down to price. The monsoon is dirt cheap to make, maintain, and very low complexity. The price option of that will be more than 10k if I had to guess. I agree it should be an option but is there a market for it?

There are other things to consider too. You have to train your dealership network to maintain it, how are the electronics integrated, is it reliable in a marine environment (turbos don't tolerate fluid on the cold side well, etc).

The "new" Jeep engine is a variant of the current one available in the Sprinter, 05-06 Libertys, and the Overland. Built by VM Motori, the latest one will still be a 4 cylinder but have roughly 240hp and 400ft lbs.

Mercruiser has a full line of VW diesels available. Mostly used for offshore stuff. I thought somewhere I read it would be closer to a 20k upgrade.

Slight derail: Saw a thread on a different site with a SN200 that supposedly had a straight six supercharged gasser. No motor pics or numbers, though.

Edited by jk13

No more arguing about which old technology GM engine works best

Old technology?? I agree with most of your other points except this one (and doubt a 50% increase in efficiency for a boating application). What's old about an LSA or LS3? What, because it is a "pushrod motor." The oh-so new DOHC technology started in racing 100 years ago, and in production vehicles a good 80+ years ago.

I really have no idea why more manufactures are not using turbos in more applications. They have been using them in the rest of the world for a while now, their turbo 4cyls have as much power as our V8s and obviously better fuel economy. Oh thats rite, because all our government employees make money from fuel sales!!! The technology has been around for years. I would be relatively surprised if the Ecoboost is around in a few years. What happened to the Buick Grand-national, a good looking car big enough for a family, got 20-25MPG and had power to get you around when loaded with people and grocery, yet it lasted what, 2 years? Where did Buick's research go? They had to have had more money in research then what they made in the few years that car was available, Why didn't they carry that technology over to the Grad-am/Grand Prix?

It really all comes down to price. The monsoon is dirt cheap to make, maintain, and very low complexity. The price option of that will be more than 10k if I had to guess. I agree it should be an option but is there a market for it?

There are other things to consider too. You have to train your dealership network to maintain it, how are the electronics integrated, is it reliable in a marine environment (turbos don't tolerate fluid on the cold side well, etc).

This is the arguement that I dont understand. I am a good to go with your statement on the Monsoon. It is a good base engine. The problem is that the higher horsepower engine options are already quite expensive as an option. My dealer wanted 5K more for the 6.0 to get around 15 pound feet of torque more than the base. No value in my opinion. That left me with the supercharged engine which was like 15K more to get something just as complicated as the 4.2 TDI and probably burns at least twice the fuel.

Integrating the electroncis is simple programming. They did it for the LS motors. As far as reliability in a marine enrironment, the engine I posted on is already proven in the marine industry and is set up to mate with the ZF V-drives. Indmar had to train folks to work on the supercharged LS motors, so train them to work on diesels. I would argue that there are probably more marine diesel mechanics around than ones that work on gas engines. Regardless, technology always eventually moves forward and the dealers need to get with it.

I don't think people know what they are missing in terms of power and efficiency.

I have posted this link up before:

http://www.banksmarine.com/

I do not know if any have been sold or are currently offered in a production boat, but banks has offered this for a few years.

I have the 8.1l in my LSV and that engine was quite the premium when it was offered. I don't see how the marinized Duramax would cost more than the 8.1 or supercharged small block that Indmar is currently offering unless the transmission/vdrive needs to be changed to handle the additional torque from a diesel install.

-Dave

Old technology?? I agree with most of your other points except this one (and doubt a 50% increase in efficiency for a boating application). What's old about an LSA or LS3? What, because it is a "pushrod motor." The oh-so new DOHC technology started in racing 100 years ago, and in production vehicles a good 80+ years ago.

50% is what was claimed on MerCuriser's web site. I stated 30% to 50% to take the edge off. I can tell you that the TDI in my Touareg is 50% more efficient than a Chevy SUV wiht the 5.3 V8 and has more torque; so i would think it's possible in a boating application as well.

I love chevy V8's, but in my opinion they are old technology vs. direct injected, turbocharged engines (gas or diesel) The engine in my wife's BMW is only 3.0l, gets 30+ mpg on the highway and has more torque than the 6.0 that Indmar offers for out boats. How? Twin turbos and direct injection. (Technology stole off of diesels) As far as pushrod vs DOHC; I would be willing to bet that GM did it for cost reasons, not performance. The new Ford 5.0 is an overhead cam engine, already casted for conversion to direct injection, and is as powerful as the 6.2 chevy. Tons of potential there. I am sorry, but a pushrod engine has limtiations in rpm / performance to an overhead cam design.

http://www.cmdmarine.com/Product2/4.2L/assets/TDI_4.2_specsheet.pdf

Edited by Tims
  • Like 1

I have posted this link up before:

http://www.banksmarine.com/

I do not know if any have been sold or are currently offered in a production boat, but banks has offered this for a few years.

I have the 8.1l in my LSV and that engine was quite the premium when it was offered. I don't see how the marinized Duramax would cost more than the 8.1 or supercharged small block that Indmar is currently offering unless the transmission/vdrive needs to be changed to handle the additional torque from a diesel install.

-Dave

Thanks for posting that link. That is a beast of an engine!! I think I would feel a little more comfortable with the marinizaiton process from MerCruiser.

Wish they still had the 8.1 when I got my boat.

Chrysler has the Cherokee diesel coming out for the US soon.

The Cherokee diesel is already available ...in Canada anyway? I have an 06 Liberty Diesel(wifes I drive 2010 F150) which has been a good.

I seem to recall seeing on this forum years ago, someone posted a picture from the factory of a malibu with an in-line 6 diesel engine in it. I don't see why they couldn't put that mercruiser diesel in a malibu especially with so many already trained mercruiser mechanics across North America.