Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do I fix a bracket pulled out of floor (94 Echelon)?

Michigan boarder

Earlier this summer we were surfing and I had a big dude sitting on the starboard rear of the engine cover and a 750# sack under/next to him and the gunnel. When we were done and I was packing up the boat I noticed this bracket had come completely out and the gas spring was bent. I assume the right approach is fill the holes and re-drill. What material should I fill the holes with?

A little more background - I replaced these brackets 3 years ago with new SS ones, and new SS hardware that was in nice and tight. I haven't tried putting it back together, knowing that if the screws were pulled out those holes have got to be too big.

post-8942-0-05816700-1345639729_thumb.jp

Edited by Michigan boarder

Through-bolt is what I would try first if there is space underneath.

Nope, no space. Can only access it from the top. That would be the way to go otherwise, though.

Michigan Boarder, I just removed my brackets and took off my shocks all together, I like being able to open the motor box all of the way now..... ( I don't ever have my back seat base in), so maybe that makes a difference for me being able to open up the box completely....

But you could always just move the holes and bracket about and inch or so to get a fresh area for the screws to bite into....

Does that make sense?

Michigan Boarder, I just removed my brackets and took off my shocks all together, I like being able to open the motor box all of the way now..... ( I don't ever have my back seat base in), so maybe that makes a difference for me being able to open up the box completely....

But you could always just move the holes and bracket about and inch or so to get a fresh area for the screws to bite into....

Does that make sense?

Yep, thought of moving the bracket too. I was hoping there was a quick "squirt this stuff in there and re-drill" solution. But hey, I kinda like the idea of removing them all together. So there's no issue with the hinges binding or anything? The back seat comes out in literally 10 seconds, so doing that before lifting the hatch is no big deal at all to me. 10 seconds to re-install.

Yep, thought of moving the bracket too. I was hoping there was a quick "squirt this stuff in there and re-drill" solution. But hey, I kinda like the idea of removing them all together. So there's no issue with the hinges binding or anything? The back seat comes out in literally 10 seconds, so doing that before lifting the hatch is no big deal at all to me. 10 seconds to re-install.

Shouldn't bind if you keep it in line. Just will open a little more or less depending which direction you go. Is there one on each side? You'll need to move the other one too if so. Got the same shocks on my 3 back covers.

Kind of a side note....if you ever need to replace the shocks on this or on your seat backs, I have been buying mine direct from "Associated Spring Raymond"...They are located in Maumee, OH 43537

Phone 419-891-9292

great service and fantastic turnaround time...

Shouldn't bind if you keep it in line. Just will open a little more or less depending which direction you go. Is there one on each side? You'll need to move the other one too if so. Got the same shocks on my 3 back covers.

I meant binding without the shocks. That is, when it is hyperextended backwards without the rear seat, does the back of it hit the floor first and put pressure on the hinges, or does it lay flat?

There is a shock on each side otherwise, and it would make sense to move the other one too. A lot less work to just remove them, period.

mine does not bind at all, just lays flat....but again, I think my dog house may be bigger than yours, because of the "BIG DAWG" inside....lol

FWIW, I have repaired several stripped out screws that are in the inner hull area by drilling out and then filling with well-mixed 2-part marine epoxy. After drying redrill and screw in again. It has worked well, BUT this use, unlike mine, will probably have a lot more strain on the bracket and perhaps won't work. Easy enough to try though.

mine does not bind at all, just lays flat....but again, I think my dog house may be bigger than yours, because of the "BIG DAWG" inside....lol

My life story. I can't help being Irish.

FWIW, I have repaired several stripped out screws that are in the inner hull area by drilling out and then filling with well-mixed 2-part marine epoxy. After drying redrill and screw in again. It has worked well, BUT this use, unlike mine, will probably have a lot more strain on the bracket and perhaps won't work. Easy enough to try though.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that approach would work. What did it in was some force against it from the side that not made to take force.

I'm going to disconnect the other side and see how it hinges backwards, then make a decision.