Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford Fosgate Head Unit Problem - 2011 VLX

Fman

Went to turn my stereo head unit on this afternoon and nothing, completely dead. Never has missed a beat since I took delivery of boat. Its the stock RF head unit that comes with the boat. Any ideas? I took about 30 seconds and checked the fuse bank but did not see anything labeled stereo, that was long enough, the riding must begin!

Thought I would post this up to see if anyone can save me some time crawling around looking for possibly a bad fuse? or did my head unit just take a crap on me?

Same thing happened to me on my 05 WS last week. Not sure how the 11's are set up, but under the throttle control panel by the drivers seat, there is some breakers on mine. If you have this, try pushing the breaker button to see if it re-sets. If not, pull the panel out and change the breaker. That's what I had to do. Of course now, none of the buttons work on my head unit, but I can listen to my Ipod. I just have to use the remote. Hope this helps.

Travis, a ratty plug from the remote RFX-MR5BB (HU) to the RFX-3000 (Blk box) was the primnary issue on my '10. Poor connection = no HU power, so I pushed and taped it together.... Both of the fuse holder covers for the, power "on" (red) and to the memory power (yellow) holders were missing and the crappy crimp job RF used had little contact so I would get intermittent cut outs and unltimately no stereo if I hit a roller. Also the cheap @ss RCA connecters would work them selves out so I had to elelctrical tape everything together then loom and add additional "P" fasteners to the back of the amp board. Hope this helps. Bill

Wdr is dead on, we both wne thru this last summer. There is an Svideo connector under the dash....where the dash remote plugs into its extension cord to make the run all the way up and around over to the back box. That connection relies on the friction of the connector to stay together. Push them back together firmly and zip tie a loop to take the tension off the connector.

#yetanotherQAQCfail

Different issue / question about the 2010 head units in the isle way .. Do the head units have lights on them or do the buttons light up? I can't remember if mine ever did, I just know now they don't and it is not cool at night...do your new head units glow?

Need, if it is a RFX-MR5BB the face is back lit so the touch points stand out. Bill

Thanks, Bill. I will check model #...good look'n out.

Edited by NeedAmalibu

This is strange, went out and checked the fuse breaker panel down by the drivers helm, did not see anything popped out. Turned on the batteries and now its working. I traced the wire from the head unit, and it goes way deep back into where the heater is. I did not want to take my kick plate off, so I am assuming I have a short somewhere? I did not see any connection point as to where it might be. I guess I will have to take the kickplate off and spend some time tracing down the wire???

Fman, trust me on this. The wire on your fostgate dash remote is only like 12-18".....then it plugs into the extension to make the longer run over to the black box.

Trace the dash remote wire from the remote back thru the dash wiring....its under there.....where it connects into its extension. I couldn't put eyes on it, only feel it with my hand. Its a full arms stretch thru the dash wiring to find it. Best of luck!

Instead of jacking with the remote and trying to track down connections....have you thought about trying to turn it on from the remote on the rear transom.

If the rear transom remote will not turn the unit on, the you more than likely have another issue. If it does turn it on - you have isolated that remote on the dash as the problem.

• 6 years later...

I have had this problem now a few times, 2012 VTX. The first time, the screen when dark, buttons still worked. I taped the connection and things went back to normal. Then the rear stopped working and checked it connection (different connection style). Yesterday, my screen stopped functioning, not allowing for any "touch" features, however did show the song title. The rear did in fact allow me to turn up and down. then at the end of the day, docking, the volume button started working again. Do I need to unmounted the black box, and check the connections behind it? Is it possible its a cord issue with the Iphone?