Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is It Normal to puff a little smoke ?

Wakesetter67

I said smoke not Weed....LOL I have a 2010 320 LCR with 253 Hr's on it, Just noticed at initial start up it puffs a little gray smoke, It go's away quickly and I do notice a smell of gas too, but that seams to go away after it warms up, Is this Normal??

Edited by Wakesetter67

Mine does it too. Only on startup, don't notice it every time. Boat isn't buring any noticable amount of oil as the level seems to be staying the same even after about hours on it this season so far.

Edited by Nitrousbird

This is the first time I really noticed it, The only thing that I did was change spark plugs a month ago, Which I dont think that has anything to do with it, It just seams like I smell Gas more this year then I did, Like it's running Rich.

I have noticed that mine puffs a bit of black smoke when boat is weighted and starting to pull up a rider. I only started to notice this after i changed my oil to Rotella T. Is this normal?

This is the first time I really noticed it, The only thing that I did was change spark plugs a month ago, Which I dont think that has anything to do with it, It just seams like I smell Gas more this year then I did, Like it's running Rich.

Same here, wonder if running ethanol is starting to rare it ugly head some how.... :dontknow:

Same here, wonder if running ethanol is starting to rare it ugly head some how.... :dontknow:

It's possible, I just cleaned a bunch of corn syrup out of my old carb, fuel pump, and the vacuum line in between.

Red, thick sludge hardened and crystallized in some places, gooey in others.

Vince, 253 hours and new plugs already? I am at 242 hours, I was thinking plugs would be good until at least 500 hours....maybe not?

I'm gonna change plugs annually, not hard to do on the Monsoon. Plus, I do fog mine and that crap "might" foul them out on spring startup. I changed mine this spring after my first trip on the water. Ran smoother and started easier. I only had 120 hrs on boat this spring, but plugs are cheap. I'm running coppers and will just change them out again next spring.

I'm gonna change plugs annually, not hard to do on the Monsoon. Plus, I do fog mine and that crap "might" foul them out on spring startup. I changed mine this spring after my first trip on the water. Ran smoother and started easier. I only had 120 hrs on boat this spring, but plugs are cheap. I'm running coppers and will just change them out again next spring.

$2 a plug is cheap but I thought the monsoon needed platinum plugs at $8 a plug...? Not cheap, especially if not necessary.

$2 a plug is cheap but I thought the monsoon needed platinum plugs at $8 a plug...? Not cheap, especially if not necessary.

The monsoon doesn't "need" platinum plugs. My boat runs better with the coppers gapped correctly. I can't remember the part number, but they are NGK v-power. I have used these plugs in almost all of my vehicles over the years and have had excellent results from them.

I was told to change plugs after my first 100 Hr because The ones installed from the factory were to cold, so i switch to an NGK cant remember the part # I got the number from Paul at Bakes,

Looked up the plugs I have in the boat. They are the NGK TR5's (2238). They are one step HOTTER than the factory ones, should work better with the cold engine temps these boats run at. $3 a plug and will most likely change them again next spring after the first outing and it burns off the fogging oil.

Looked up the plugs I have in the boat. They are the NGK TR5's (2238). They are one step HOTTER than the factory ones, should work better with the cold engine temps these boats run at. $3 a plug and will most likely change them again next spring after the first outing and it burns off the fogging oil.

Ya it seams I would need a hotter plug, I think it smells rich when i rev it up, Strong gas smell