Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

need buying advice

fastmcars

So here is the deal. I have never owned a ski boat, only go fast boats. I decided to by a v drive ski/wake boat for my wife,daughter and friends who don't enjoy going 90mph. I haven't skied off a boat in years, but am excited to ski. wakeboard and surf(didn't even know this exsisted 3 weeks ago, but it looks like fun). Thus, I found a boat I like, a 2012 vtx and have a few questions that hopefully will help me with the decision.

1) The only thing not on the boat that I think I would like is the diamond hull- any advice if this makes a huge difference or only with pro skiers.

2) Is surfgate really necessary for the novice surfer? From what I've read, you still need severe weighting of the boat.

3) Has anyone had difficulty with the electronic gizmos like the touch screen, ballast pumps or stereo touch screen?

4) It seems like the 2013 has a lot of changes, should I wait and get the 2013 or get a killer deal on a 2012? What is the ussual percent of dealer discount?

Thanks, any advice would help.

First off welcome to the crew!

1: From everything I have read, get the diamond hull if you want to ski behind the VTX. Normally they are ordered with the diamond to appeal to the crossover buyer that wants to ski and wake board.

2: I wish I had the surfgate on my 2010 LSV, it appears that it would make a good wave with stock ballast and make switching sides much faster.

3: I have not had any problems with the Malivue. Some have reported issues with the touch screen MTC that I think were fixed with software in 2011. If you plan on upgrading your stereo at some point to a higher end deal I would go with the bare minimum or delete that option if you plan on a custom sound system.

4: IMO this depends on your finances, what you are willing to pay and if you decide on getting the surfgate you will need to go with the 2013. I went with a 2010 demo and saved a lot of $$$ over new. But new you get to pick your options, colors, etc.

great boat. i dont feel the diamond hull effects boarding wake much at all, we can do flips and backrolls all day long on ours, and the ski wave is much improved with the diamond hull.

Surf wave is great too. Ssure the surf gate would be nice, but its going to come at a steep cost (option cost and model year price increase). If youve never surfed before it will be a long time before you out grow the surf wave of a vtx without a surf gate. We have not had any electrical issues at all with our boat.

Where are you located? I know a guy with a reaaaaly sweet loaded vtx for sale :-) if nothing else id be glad to take you out so you can spend some time in one before you purchase new.

Edited by chadwick02