Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing - What RPM R U Running

Murphy8166

I am interested in finding out what RPM's people are pushing when surfing.

For example: In our 2011 VLX (monsoon) we run an 1100lb sack in the locker and another 300 lbs under the seats. With the wedge all the way down and at 10.4 mph we are turning around 3300 RPM. We also had 6 in the boat

Is it bad to push the engine at 3300 rpm while only going 10.4mph? You can definately tell it is working!

Edited by Murphy8166

6.0L here.... we run 10.6 up to about 11.6...2700-3100rpm...heavy boat (ex 4 SRM29s + starter battery, 150lb sub& enclosure etc etc) to begin with, with about 3k avg ballast.

What is the engine effort meter (or whatever it is) read on your boat? its that bar on the CRUISE screen that run across the bottom 0 - 100%. mine varies from about 50-80% depending on load and conditions.

Ive never had a tranny temp warning go off, and the engine temps have never exceeded 165 with the engine running. Ive been running synthetics and will be from here on out... but yes, its certainly is working hard throwing that wave. I have been thinking about propping down, but I really dont want a 35mph boat....

Autowedge does make it much easier on the starts, being all the way flat in the neutral position vs 65%... then adjusts back after you get underway. Another thing ive started doing is getting a little forward momentum before throwing the hammer down. that little 1-2MPH of forward momentum while taking the slack out of the rope and aligning the surfer to the right position makes a huge difference in the effort require vs throwing it down from a dead start and jumping over 8000lbs or so off the line.

We use the autowedge...typically we leave it 100% deployed.

I don't have any issues getting the boat out of the water and up to speed. I am strictly concerened about my RPM's at speed when surfing.

given that recent post from enginenut, I guess the real question is whether you could approach 4800 rpms if you buried the throttle. If not, you are overpropped. Better to have it wound out than lugging apparently.

Different boat, I know, but you are running way heavier than me and doing about the same rpms. If I were running that heavy we'd be around 3400.

Just looked at mine this weekend, here's my setup:

1100 lb sack in locker

370 lb sack under port seats

@ 400 lb of batteries, amps, amp rack in port cubby

Wedge all the way down, maybe 1-2 clicks up

@ 550 lb of people

MLS port rear and front full

MLS main about 75% full ( pump got plugged up w milfoil weeds)

Fuel just shy of 3/4 full

1235 prop

I was turning 3k going 11.2 mph

Throttle position range was just over 50% on the dash. It wasn't working too hard and would get to 11.2 pretty quick.

Edited by gorilla

What is the engine effort meter (or whatever it is) read on your boat? its that bar on the CRUISE screen that run across the bottom 0 - 100%. mine varies from about 50-80% depending on load and conditions.

I will check this on Sunday

1400ish ballast, wedge, and varying people weight. 10.5-10.7MPH, I think it runs about 2500 RPM w/ the 381 and not pushing the motor hard at all. I just swapped to the 1939 so I'm curious as to the surf/wakeboarding RPM with that change.

Around 1800-2000 lbs of ballast (factory + 750 in locker and 400lbs of lead under seat)

Wedge at 25% (One click up from bottom)

10.8mph

Around 2800-2900 rpm (Monsoon 350)

Running ACME 15'X14.25' (I think the extra surface area really keep the slippage down at lower speeds)

Effort meter in the lower 1/3 range

One note, click the wedge up a few notches and watch the RPM's start to climb. It really takes quite a bit of power to run wedge at 100%. Don't know how boats without that auto wedge feature can get out of the water.

We are running 2350rpm 10.5 to 10.8mph

Manuel wedge down

750lbs on the surf side

400lbs in the ski locker

400lbs in the bow

Acme 535

4-5 people in the boat

CB