Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Driveshaft Loose?

Today I was going to install new packing gland gasket. I was just reading some final tips on this forum and saw something on axle shaft play. (I cannot for the life of me find it again) So I go out and check the drive shaft... By hand I can move the drive shaft side to side and up and down. It seems to me it should not do this. The boat really doesnt have any vibration when driving. The only thing I noticed abnormal was a slight noise when in reverse softly. I am going to wait on redoing the packing nut until I am sure nothing else should be repaired. I bought this boat about 3 weeks ago. Just getting used to owning an inboard. Any advice or direction would be great. Thanks.

I'm a little surprised you dont have any vibrations. Maybe someone else with this model can provide some info.

I'm wondering if your "cutlass" bearing needs replaced. It's the bearing that is in the strut unit that holds the shaft.

Steve B.

I just had a friend stop by and that's exactly what he said. Cutlass bearing worn out. He was surprised with the bearing wear with 360 hours. I am now on the search for the bearing. If local dealer doesnt have it I suppose skidim will.

Just got done replacing my strut bearings and packing nut gaskets. All I have left to do is water test it. Thanks to all the great posts and info on this site... It made the repairs a breeze. :-) Now soon I will be replacing my Acme 911 13x10.5 prop with a 13x12 Anyone looking to buy a 911?

I think I got lucky! The water test went flawless! I did not have to adjust it on the water ,the drip rate is about 1 drip every 7 seconds, the shaft is nice and cool. Drives nice and smooth. Also the drivetrain is a lot quieter now. I guess I never noticed the noise before.

• Like 1