Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purple wire on alternator

I am in the process of checking all my wires for my surge problem and ran across a purple wire by the alternator that is not connected and just hanging. The alternator looks just like the first pic in Bozboat's thread:

For this alternator, should it be hooked up and if so, where does it go?

What alternator is on your boat? Hope it looks better than mine. Here is a picture of the purple wire before I swapped out the old alternator

76B4D153-1434-4520-B66B-DCD5D9B99F2F-378-0000002C83C65C8A.jpg

Edited by Bozboat

That's the same alternator that is on mine now. I read your whole post where your new alternator you installed was self exciting, but was not sure if this one was as well and did not need the purple wire hooked up also. It has made it this long without it, so wasn't sure if it needed it. I guess I will hook it up to see what happens then.

How can you tell if one is self exciting or not?

In my limited view, if alternator is not self exciting it shouldn't work without the purple wire. Can you read the model number etc off the alternator?

Skidim guys are good people to ask about this, so would be Paul or the guys at Bakes

Leece-Neville

Model BRC-062 D

AMPS 4 VOLTS 12 9820

SALES NO. 105-306

Typed what sticker on back reads. Also has the same white arrow sticker pointing to hook ups.

Bad part is I think it looks as bad if not worse than yours in your original post.

Skidim has a drop in replacement that is pretty inexpensive, it's Korean or something so "ground" is labeled "earth" Pull it off and take it to an alternator shop, they might be able to rebuild it cheap. I got the Korean one from skidim, it's only a 51 amp but it keeps both batteries charged despite the three amps on my DIY stereo rig. The new one was a big improvement over the corroded old one

Edited by Bozboat