Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LXI to a Response

kennyo

I currently have a 2003 SLXI and thinking about making the move to a Response TXI. Anyone have any regrets going from the Sunsetter to the Response? This would be a major purchase for me and trying to gather as much info as I can. I mostly ski (learning the course finally at 40) with the occasional wakeskate or boarding. I love my SLXI but wondering if I would be happier with the "skiers choice" boat.

Ken

IMO No, I doubt you'll be happier. Especially considering it'd be a "major purchase". I have the same boat you have an it throws an amazing slalom wake. I have skied competitively and been behind all of the major slalom tractors out there and would put our boat up against them any day of the week.

The only way I see a major upgrade to a pure slalom tractor being arguably justifiable is if you were skiing the course at 38' off and deeper at 34 -36mph, in which case the spray off the side of your boat may then become an issue.

I agree, I've got a 2000 and was thinking about upgrading the same but I've skied behind several different brands of boats including a RLXI and my SLXI is very comparable to all. It's no Nautigue 200 but considering the only way I get into 38 off is pulling my very hardest to outside one ball and turning I'm not to worried. The only way I'm going to upgrade is when my SLXI gets to old and then I'm not sure what I would buy. I just can't beat the size, wake and the fact...it's paid for. Since your 40 something like myself have you put a 525 acme prop on the SLXI to clean up the wake. Maybe you would like the wake a little better. I know with the original prop I didn't like the wake or the hole shot.

I owned a 2001 SLXi for 6 years, have had my 2005 RLXi for 7 years...with a couple years of overlap where I owned and regularly used both. We had the same discussion over and over debating about moving the RLXi (TXi should be a similar jump), here's my initial thoughts.

• I tried 7 different props on the SLXi, in the end none of them could get the boat out of the hole like the RLXi. SLXi never seemed to jump out of the hole (biggest beef with the boat)...RLXi gets going very,very well with the Monsoon.
  • Wake quality of both boats is awesome. The SLXi wake is a tad bigger, the RLXi wake is a tad firmer. Both boats skied incredibly well.
  • The RLXi is much better driving boat when pulling strong slalom skiers, especially in the course. It's a far more nimble boat. Much sportier feel behind the wheel as well with the RLXi (seating position?).
  • The trunk in the SLXi is much better due to being deeper. I also preferred the one piece trunk lid on the SLXi vs the gull wing lids on the RLXi
  • The SLXi was a better big water boat, as the RLXi low nose is a challenge if you have any weight up in the bow. The TXi nose is quite a bit higher than my RLXi so the difference between the SLXi and TXi might be negligible.
  • Useable storage space is basically the same between the two.
  • I prefer the one piece rear seat on the RLXi as we take it out when skiing at the private lake. The multi-piece rear seat on the SLXi doesn't allow this easily.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks Edwin. My wife and I too keep debating over and over whether we should make the move to the response. Not so much for the wake difference, but to just get into something newer.

I moved from a 2002 Sunsetter (on the old diamond hull) to a Response LXI in 2009. The wakes were enough of an improvement to justify the new boat. While I miss the higher freeboard and feel that we lost some storage space I don't regret it one bit.

I'd second edwin's comments - I have an 03 Response LXi; my buddy has an 03 Sunsetter LXi and we split time in the course about evenly between our boats. I'm getting thru the course @ 15 off, working to get consistent at 22 off, while my buddy can throw down 35 off pretty regularly. He loves skiing behind my boat, as do I, but to be honest I seem to achieve my own PB's and breakthroughs behind his Sunsetter.

The Sunsetter wake is noticeably softer, while mine is smaller but a bit harder-at least at longer line lengths. There is no comparison in the tracking thru the course, the Response is locked in, while with the Sunsetter you have to anticipate the pull and countersteer to get a decent boat path.

We were talking the other day about what he should get next- best idea of the day was to put $30k into refitting his Sunsetter LXi when the time comes- they don't make anything today that compares to the versatility and performance of that boat.