Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cooling hose pierced by Rudder Tiller Clamp '02 LSV

At the beginning of this season I replaced the hose running from the V drive back to the Water pump area on my 2002 Wakesetter LSV 23. After about 60 hrs. I noticed the clamp for the tiller arm is cutting into my nice new hose (See photo). My question is this, Should I tie the hose up to keep it out of the way or try a longer/shorter hose configuration, or should I get crafty with some 90 degree elbows and hose clamps? Has anyone else had this issue?

When I installed the heavier/larger tiller arm I needed to add (2) 90's to that hose to route it out of the way. You may be able to just pull it over a little with some zipties attached to the mounting bracket for the water pump.

• Like 1

A quick update, I worked on it last night, replaced the 5 or so foot piece of 1 1/4" hose (Damn, those are expensive). I also purchased a one foot section 1 5/8" hose to use as a chafe guard or reinforcement in two areas. The first area was around the rudder tiller clamp. The other is the area around the fore engine mount. I held these two 6 inch sections of larger hose to the substrate hose with hose clamps. I also did some fancy suspension with Zip ties to bring the hose up off the floor and away from the Tiller arm clamp. I'll keep an eye on it but it should be a good long term fix.

i had a similar problem earlier this spring, but found i had routed one of the hoses from the transmission cooler incorrectly. When I moved it (over something it was under, or under something it was over - i forget) i was good. I had actually pulled the hose loose from the cooler tube and the first time I thought i just didn't have the clamps tight. Then my son noticed the steering would spring back a little when full turned one way - it was hitting the hose and springing back.

Edited by Soon2BV