Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SKYLON Deafcon reference tower speakers

Tha5-0

When I bought the boat it came with These tower speakers. I put them up last weekend on some 75 watt amp I had lying around. They sound and play great until I turn the volume up and then they cut out. Is that too weak of an amp or ?? Not sure. If that's the case what's a good size amp for them without forking out big money.

Could be a number things.

1) What power supply were you using for the amp? Was it in your boat on fully charged batteries, etc?

2) How many channels does the amp have and how was it wired to the speaker terminals (stereo, bridged, etc.)?

3) There are many models of Defcon or Deafcon speakers, what exactly are yours (number of drivers, impedence, etc.)?

An amp being too small usually wouldn't cause it to cut out. It'll just not be very loud. There is another issue at hand.

I did hook them up to the boat. The amp is a small alpine maybe 75 watt bridged. I did bridge the speakers. Not sure of the model on the speakers. They are about 8" drivers with a built jn cross crossover. They are in a carbon fiber tower speaker box and on the back it says skylon deafcon reference but can't tell which one. I'd post a picture but can't figure out how.

Problem is most Alpine two channel amps are not stable to two ohms bridged. I assume your speakers are 4 ohm each, most are.

That's why it's cutting out. Try it one per channel.

Edited by jk13

Could be short inside cans, bad speaker, bad crossover, bad amp.

Multimeter the speaker wires going to the cans. If they are in fact 4 ohm speakers, they should read just over 3 ohms at rest. Although we've seen speakers read fine but develop a short once moving. Hard to say.

Do you have another pair of four ohm speakers you can hook that amp to for an amp test?

Then it's bad amp, not enough power supply, or possibly even too much input into the RCA channels of the amp. If you have a high voltage preamp out on your deck and your amp will only accept 2 volts in, it's possible. Turn the gains all the way down and see if it helps, then raise them slowly to match the output of the HU.