Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I hate stories like this

longbeard

There's so many things I would want to say about this, I feel like this would be so preventable (with a little attention straight ahead...), so I'm not even going to pursue it.

EDIT: Not saying he was, but if he was looking at his fallen tuber, agh...

Edited by mnhays

We were on the water this weekend. My son was wakeboarding and I notice a 25' Cobalt that is pointed somewhat in our direction. I keep my eye on him because the driver is facing backwards. Sure enough we get about 200 yards from him and he starts to plane off. Never once did he check up, I back out of the throttle let me son drop and he passes in front of us. Then I see it, he is towing a surfer, behind his I/O. They are out there.

I don't know the details or circumstances of what happened in this story, but I wish people realized that a mistake on the water like that is not a my bad. It's something you will have to live with the rest of your life.

We were on the water this weekend. My son was wakeboarding and I notice a 25' Cobalt that is pointed somewhat in our direction. I keep my eye on him because the driver is facing backwards. Sure enough we get about 200 yards from him and he starts to plane off. Never once did he check up, I back out of the throttle let me son drop and he passes in front of us. Then I see it, he is towing a surfer, behind his I/O. They are out there.

I don't know the details or circumstances of what happened in this story, but I wish people realized that a mistake on the water like that is not a my bad. It's something you will have to live with the rest of your life.

some people just dont have a clue. was out riding this weekend and while i was waiting on the boat to pull me up this other boat is just cruising along at about 5-10mph then as i got pulled up they sped up and got in front of us going 18 needless to say they had some words go their way from 9 people in the boat i was in. people just think they own the water

I live on Lake Lanier. I was on the lake and saw the rescue team bringing her in to shore to the waiting ambulance. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. The place where they wer tubing is open to the wakes coming in from the main channel of Lake Lanier. We have very big boats that are fully loaded putting out huge wakes. Those wakes go right by Three Sisters Islands. Tubers like to go there for getting air. To get there, they cross the main channel, while pulling their kids on the tubes. I feel bad for the kids, but the captains are asking for trouble and, unfortunately, they're getting it. Remember Usher's ex-step son?? Killed in the same general area while tubing in a busy boat traffic area.

I've been driving boats of various types for 30+ years now.....and it's just like driving a car: you have to anticipate the stupid moves of the other drivers around you. That ability to anticipate those stupid moves is an acquired skill that comes from a lot of driving, and, practical understanding of human psychology gained over some years. That's why a 16 year old new driver behind the wheel of a car (or a new boat owner) just isn't as well equipped to deal with the hazards out there. But with attention and care, that newbie can be a very safe operator and improve the overall level of safety on the lake.

Some folks just never get there however.....letting a teenage ride on the hood while towing a tube.....there's nothing more to say. It's stupidity like that which forces regulatory moves such as boat licensing, the goal being to try to achieve at least a minimum uniform level of driver awareness and safety.

When you see people doing stupid stuff on the lake, realize that we ALL pay the price for it....either through our own exposure to increased proximity risk, or through additional government regulations and oversight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Z4N9dpPG8

Edited by CliffB

I have a few years under me while towing kids on tubes, but I've never come close to powering down when a rider falls in the water and having someone fall over the bow of the boat. Am I lucky?

Edited by brettpendl

I have a few years under me while towing kids on tubes, but I've never come close to powering down when a rider falls in the water and having someone fall over the bow of the boat. Am I lucky?

I might just be unlucky and dumb. I went over the front of an open bow boat when the skier crashed and the driver pulled off throttle. I admit, I was 21 and not paying attention and was not fully seated, but have a wicked cool scar on my otherwise wussy biceps from the prop.

These boats act like you slam on brakes when you back off on throttle. Plus with the electronic throttle it makes it so much worse. You need to keep your hand on throttle when u hit some waves otherwise the throttle can automatically slow down big time.