Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Wheel / Cable Rattle

rookievlxowner

I'm a rookie 2009 Malibu VLX owner and this past weekend on the boat experienced steering wheel rattle when pulling someone up surfing. I just bought the boat and when test driving did not experience this nor did I experience this when putting the boat on the trailer. At all other times while using the boat did not experience this problem. I've seen some threads on this site regarding cable / wheel rattle already but they appeared a bit dated (2006 models / timeframe). As I said I am a rookie and did have the rudder at times turned / not straight when starting. Any thoughts or comments for this rookie would be greatly appreciated!

If it is only doing it when surfing, it sound like it is most likely caviatation, "prop slippage". I get the same thing when I am loaded too heavy in the rear (stock ballast, 1100lb bag and 5 adults + wedge, HA prop Acme 1235 / 14.5x14.25). You just have to lighten, move the peeps until you get on plane or re-prop.

I have the same issue, Took it to the dealer and everything checks out great, Still does it a little mostly when we are loaded, I don't even notice it much anymore, You should be fine!! Mine did not do it as much with the stock prop, Only when I Upgrades to a Power prop, I guess more thrust will make it Cavitate like mentioned in above post,

Edited by Wakesetter67

my boat is an 08 and it did that so I took it to the dealer and he but on the weighted arm and the boat has not done it since. the dealer was able to do it under warranty.

If you don't have the weighted tiller arm...that will fix the problem. I think the part is about $225 from the dealer, and as long as you know your way around a tool box, you shouldn't have any problems installing it yourself.

See this thread for more info and a picture of the tiller arm.