Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 v 2006

malcontent

I enjoy my 2006 Wakesetter 21 VLX with 530 hrs. Dealer called out of the blue to try to get me to trade to 2012. I know the 2012 is wider 100" v 98" (or is it 98 v 96). I'd appreciate any feedback on the pros and cons of the 2012 v the 2006. In addition if any thoughts on how much I should have to pay for the upgrade would be appreciated. Spoiler alert, the dealer's first offer is about $56.4K.

Both boats have ballast, heater, bimini, cover, and trailer.

The 2006 has not tower speakers, the 2010 has 2. It also has the Maliview 6.5 in display.

I enjoy my 2006 Wakesetter 21 VLX with 530 hrs. Dealer called out of the blue to try to get me to trade to 2012.

The 2006 has not tower speakers, the 2010 has 2. It also has the Maliview 6.5 in display.

So is the new boat a 2010 or 2012?

If it's a 2012, I'd hold out for a 2013 to get the game-changer-gate.

• Like 1

+1

Is the $56.4k for the 06, 10, or 12? I'd wait for 13 unless you get a SMOKIN deal on a 12....... They really aren't that different except for electronics and hull, which isn't a huge difference IMO, minor things. If you love your 06 then I'd keep it.

I would think that dealers want to move the 2012 to make room for the 2013 as people may not want the 2012 after the introduction of the Surfgate...if the SG is of no interest to you, it may be a great deal~

Edited by srintx

Yeah and my opinion 56k is a lot of money for one generation newer boat, where besides the tower and the malivue the changes are minimal. Hull is very very similiar.

Guys I think 56k is on top of trading in his boat...

no way, assuming his boat is worth 40, that's a 96k VLX? no chance. I can see that being the desperation price (56k) for a mild-optioned VLX.

Here are the specifics.

It would be a trade up to a 2012 from a 2006. The quote is as follows:

$75.3K for the 2012

+4.7K trailer

Somehow the base price MSRP comes to $96K (options listed below)

-8.6K (discount cause I'm a nice guy?)

-35K Trade allowance

+4K tax and "document or Admin fees" (I love that one)

Works out to $56K + a 2006 with 530 hrs gets a new 2012.

What's the deal with the surfgate?

Options:

Ballast - Bow Malibu launch sys

Batter set up option

Floor-wet teak fiberglass

Lights-transom underwater

Heater 2 outlet

pull up cleats 2 pair

Sun deck rear walk-over

Wedge power

Maliview 6.5 in display system

Wakesetter hull graphics

Shaft seal - water cooled

GL Bimini top and boot

GL Boat cover

Illusion G3 tower w/Pair T

Sound pack 3

Sound system remote

Swim platform fiberglass

(Price inlucds the silver stereo package)

Jump ahead to year 2019 and your wanting to sell, you get a call from a potential buyer, he says,"does your 2012 (or 2013) have the surfgate?"

^^^^ Yup, I'd hold out for a 2013 or later if you're in no hurry to sell.

I bet all the dealers have a real hard time getting rid of the 2012 left-overs due to Suck-money-out-of-your-wallet-gate.

no way, assuming his boat is worth 40, that's a 96k VLX? no chance. I can see that being the desperation price (56k) for a mild-optioned VLX.

Oh really? ;)

I wouldn't trade for a 2012 unless it was a smoking deal, and I mean smoking. Like what skurfer mentioned, they need to let that boat go for less than $70K out the door and still give you $35K for your boat. Remember, they approached you, they want to move that boat because they know they're going to have a hard time selling it with the 2013 surfgate models coming in. I wouldn't pay any more than $35K out of pocket if I were you.