Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

6.5 speaker upgrade

aquaman

Can anyone recommend a bitchin 6.5 speaker for in the boat? I was looking at wetsounds but not sure on the models. Xs or sw. I'd like to add led rings too. I currently have rockford power 6.5s. And yes I understand that my enclosures are pretty much infinite baffles.

Thanks crew members!

Wetsounds XS 650's are going to be their flagship 6.5" speaker. The b and s codes stand for the color of the cone (black or silver)

Wetsounds XS 65's are going to be the price point 6.5" speaker.

The SW are going to be the salt water series. You can put them in your boat if you like the look.

There is a VERY big difference in between the 650's and 65's. The 650' sare hard to beat.

Edited by Murphy8166

If you have a boat with speakers atop the dash then go with an all black or charcoal model for that particular location. Otherwise, the reflection off the windshield of a light silver grill/cone can be a major visual distraction.

LEDs are great for all speaker locations except perhaps the dash. All LED lighting should be indirect or diffused.

David

David, speaking of voltage drops, is running a 4g splitter to 2 4g outputs ok? One leg is running a 1000.4 to four pro696s and the other leg is the ks600.2. No thermal issues but the gain on the arc amp that is powering the 2 pairs of rev10s is set to its highest point. I know it should be louder. The voltage at rest is 12.6 and I believe the gauge read 13.7 while pulling a boarder.

Murphy, any suggestions?

Since both your amplifiers and batteries are in the same compartment, your collective length of power and ground primary cables is short. That length times the maximum amperage draw will determine your cable gauge. In this case, 4-gauge is required for the very short extensions from the distribution blocks to each amplifier. The main feed from battery to distribution could be 2-gauge minimum or 1-gauge. Do not forget to focus on the connections and terminations.

When under considerable load with prolonged bass notes, if you measure a voltage differential between the battery terminals and amplifier primary terminals you might have a connection/termination issue.

Undersized wiring that is not rated according to US standards and uses aluminum content is a major problem with voltage loss.

Gain at full? Doesn't sound right. A low impedance load of 2-ohms generally requires a little less input gain to reach full power. Even 50 percent is high with a strong preamp signal. High/low sensitivity or high/low voltage switches? Check fader position? Measure AC voltage from the source supply? Check polarity on all speakers? Parallel versus series? Reverse RCA supplies with the other amplifier?

David

David, with the battery tender off for a day the voltage is at 12.6. How many daisy chains can I do? Will that affect output? I will try flipping RCAs and see what happens. Maybe a bad amp? Speakers are wired in parralel. Should the preamp switch have any affect on the amp?? The gain on the ws420 is at 3/4 and the head unit settings are fine. Do you think if one channel was wired correctly with a true positive and negative while the other channel might of been flip flopped that could cause a problem? As far as volume, they all sound equally loud now.

New and fully charged flooded batteries normally rest at 12.7 and AGMs at 12.8 volts once all surface charges have dissipated. So 12.6 is okay as long as you don't see that drop any farther over a several day span. Power output may drop 15 percent from the tested/specified 14.4 volts to 12.5 volts but that isn't enough to be a real audible difference.

Depending on the age the EQ may or may not have input gain adjustment access through the top of the chassis plus you have an independent front panel tower level control. Try circumventing the EQ or reversing the zones as suggested before.

You can always verify the preout voltage with a multimeter at the input of the amplifier and compare that to the input voltage of the in-boat amplifer at the same settings/level.

Speaker polarity on all four speakers would probably be the first thing to check.

Past that I would contact the amplifier manufacturer and see if they have something to add.

David