Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Response Not Starting

Backfooter100

Hello,

Having a small issue:

Boat starts fine and runs fine for 1/2 hour, stop to change skiers.

When I went to start the boat, nothing happens, run through my normal checklist

* boat in neutral (actually put into gear and return to neutral)

* remove safety lanyard, cycle switch several times and reset

* check to make sure battery connections are tight (they were)

At this point I attempt to start the boat again , no gauges, acc switches work, steady trouble alarm from under dash and I can hear what I believe is a relay momentarly energizing ( but I could not tell if was under the dash or under the motor box) it sounded like the starter attempted to turn the motor but that lasted only a fraction of a second.

I wait about 30 seconds and try again, the weird thing is AFTER I released the key from the start position, the motor cranked and fired righ upt, ran great for the rest of our ski sets (did not shut it down again, until it was back on the lift), After I let it sit for 30 minutes, lowered it back into the water and it started right up as if there was never a problem.

Oh, I also checked the connections to the starter , all were tight , no loose connections on the ground connections under the dash either...........I'm stumped

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

this smells like the problem i was having w my '04.

turned out to be a bad terminal in the ignition relay but a bad relay would act the same.

play musical relays and/or stress the harness/relay base next time the problem presents.

edit to add: no start troubleshooting document may be of help.

Edited by tvano

Thanks for the reply !

Would I be correct in assuming that the stater relay is next to the ECM module on the back of the motor above the bellhousing ?

Actually I think that there may be 3 relays next to each other..................yes/no ??

Thanks for the reply !

Would I be correct in assuming that the stater relay is next to the ECM module on the back of the motor above the bellhousing ?

Actually I think that there may be 3 relays next to each other..................yes/no ??

y, 3 similar relays at that location on my rig.

fuel pump, starter and ignition.

guess i'd take a minute to make sure that they are alike before playing musical relays.

my problem (broken / missing locking tab that retains terminal in the relay's mating base) was very hard to see.

took me a while (too long) to find the problem.

it looked ok but would allow the terminal to flex axially which allowed the terminal to 'open' too much eventually turning into a intermittent problem.

Thanks, I will check this weekend and report back with what I find, I talked to my dealer yesterday and they said to check for any active or inactive codes ( I have the Diacom software ) so I will check that as well

Thanks

Danny