Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Building a system for 09 LXI

Henken

Hello,

Looking for some suggestions/direction on upgrading my current stock JBL system. I am planning installing a 10" or 12 sub along with a amp to run the sub and a amp to run the four stock Rockford speakers........I think.

I listen to everything from country, rock, reggae to rap. I am wanting a very clean sound with some extra thump. I have had luck in the past in using the stock cabin speakers and are planning on doing it again on this boat.

I do have the Extreme tower and may add speakers in the future.

1. Do I run a 10" or 12"?
  2. It appears some are running their subs enclosed and some are installing open under the drivers seat?
  3. Looking for suggestions on either Wetsounds or JL compononets.
  4. Can I accomplish the above and intergrate with the current JBL black box?

Thanks for any help in advance...Jeremy

jkendallmsce

went with a JL Audio thin wall sub and located it under the drivers seat area. A reagualr sub is ok if you want to give up all your leg room. not the cheapest, but have been impressed with how well it works/sounds/etc. with the walk thru, there just are not than many places to locate a properly sized sub.

Repalced the 4 speakers within the boat with Boston Pro60s powering the sub and speakers with a JL Audio 900/5 class D amp. More than enough power to drive the entire system as loud as you want while it remains clean, and the class D amp requires 1/2 the space and power to operate than a convential amp.

The only thing I would change are the speakers...although I still love my Bostons, after hearing some of the Focals I may have to reconsider.

The only weak point is the cheap JBL MBB black box/HU that we have replaced 4-5 times...but are stuck with because all controls/functions/modes/etc. are run thru the MUX switches.

Edited by jkendallmsce

I have an 08 RLXI.

You can fit a 10" sub behind the drivers kick panel in the right, non custom box.

If you step up to a 12, you'll need to build a custom box in that location.

I was running a 10" in front of the drivers kick panel, and another 10 in the passenger side.

Just finished an overhaul on the system, and am going to try 1 JL 10w7 on the drivers side only. It is the locaiton that sounds the best, and with a 10 i don't need to build a custom box.

Those RF speakers are garbage. Step up to a set of wetsounds for the interior. You CAN cram the xs650's in the dash without windshield removal, but it is challenging. I did it, and can talk you through it if you want. http://www.themalibu...peaker-install/

Stock RF dash speakers, vs. Wetsounds XS650's

photo+3.JPG

Edited by dhcomp

Thanks dhcomp.

Thats a great visual difference..the nice thing is I wouldnt have to remove the windshield given the speakers are in the walkway on a 09.

I think I will lean towards a 10" and put it in the kick panel.

Forgot about the 09 walk through speakers. Yes, will be way easier, but will never sound anywhere near as good :(

That being said, i really recomend the Alpine PDX amps. They freaking rock. and the plugs you use to attach wires makes it a lot easier to wire in a boat.

They have marine ones, but they weren't powerfull enough for what i wanted, so i got the standard ones. Nice and small though, makes it great for the response. Had mine cranked the first weekend, for 5 hrs+ a night, at max non distorted volume, 5 nights in a row, and they didnt' miss a beat!

I have 2, one above the other, mounted on the front wall of the passenger storage.

Good luck!