Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Optima Blue Top Model Choices

G-Pac

Read through a number of archived threads on the Optima Blue Tops.

Our new 2006 LSV is being built this week and was ordered with a battery switch (stock factory switch, which I assume is the Perko) and no batteries. I ordered it this way so that I could install the dual Optima Blue Top set-up UNDER the observer's seat bench as SacRiverRat and Wakegirl have done.

My question(s):

I.

Two Optima Blue Top model options are listed at the "ebatteries" web site - 1) CB34M ($148); and 2) CBD34M ($183).

Does anyone know the difference?

I am wondering if the "D" designation is for Deep Cycle or something else that I should be aware of before I purchase them.

II.

Is it acceptable to run dual Deep Cycle batteries, versus 1 Deep Cycle and 1 non-Deep Cycle?

From what I have read in the previous threads, everyone has installed dual Deep Cycle batts and I am just looking for confirmation that this is the best way to go.

III.

Lastly, if I am not using the Hell-Roaring isolator (which I now think I should have planned for), do I need to run in-line fuses as Wakegirl and SacRiverRat have done?

Sorry to dredge up a lot of previously addressed topics, but I could not find straight answers to these questions and I need to get the batteries ordered soon so that the dealer can install them when the new boat arrives from the factory in 2-3 weeks.

As always, thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

G-Pac

Read through a number of archived threads on the Optima Blue Tops.

Our new 2006 LSV is being built this week and was ordered with a battery switch (stock factory switch, which I assume is the Perko) and no batteries. I ordered it this way so that I could install the dual Optima Blue Top set-up UNDER the observer's seat bench as SacRiverRat and Wakegirl have done.

My question(s):

I.

Two Optima Blue Top model options are listed at the "ebatteries" web site - 1) CB34M ($148); and 2) CBD34M ($183).

I am wondering if the "D" designation is for Deep Cycle or something else that I should be aware of before I purchase them.

II.

Is it acceptable to run dual Deep Cycle batteries, versus 1 Deep Cycle and 1 non-Deep Cycle?

From what I have read in the previous threads, everyone has installed dual Deep Cycle batts and I am just looking for confirmation that this is the best way to go.

III.

Lastly, if I am not using the Hell-Roaring isolator (which I now think I should have planned for), do I need to run in-line fuses as Wakegirl and SacRiverRat have done?

Sorry to dredge up a lot of previously addressed topics, but I could not find straight answers to these questions and I need to get the batteries ordered soon so that the dealer can install them when the new boat arrives from the factory in 2-3 weeks.

As always, thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

G-Pac

I have always used the D34M. I purchased them locally for $145 apiece. I have the same setup you do and plan on adding the Hell-Roaring isolator to keep the both charged.

The "D" does mean Deep Cycle. From Optima's Website

What is the Difference?

OPTIMA® offers three battery models for your marine and R/V needs: the 34M, D34M, and D31M.

OPTIMA's D34M and D31M BlueTop batteries are dual-purpose batteries. They can be used in any deep cycle (marine accessory, R/V, trolling motor) or starting applications.

OPTIMA's 34M BlueTop battery is a starting battery. Although you can use a deep cycle battery in any application, starting batteries can only be used for starting applications.

Here is my 2 cents:

Our local Academy stores sell a sealed battery similar, if not identical, to the optimas. They are called Orbitals. They run in the mid $80 range. Since no one in our area carried the optimas I decided to buy an Orbital and save some $$$. So far I have been extremly pleased. It holds a charege very well. It never saw the battery charger other than the first time it went in the boat. We are at the lake a lot in the evenings so wiping the boat down and clean up is usually done with all of the lights on and the stereo running. The other day I jumped in the boat to get something and turned they key over to check the voltage and it was at 11.8 volts after sitting since late October. I can't compare it to an optima but I can't see there being that much difference in performance between the 2.

You can run dual deep cylces. Or one starting and one deep cylce. Either way. In my mind it does depend on how you use the batts. If you are going to combine the batts. to run house loads, or have the switch in the BOTH position often, I would def. go with 2 deep cycles. If you are just running the stereo and house loads off one batt. I would go 1 start and 1 deep.

I would look at the D31M or the 31 series Optima for running the stereo and house loads. It has the most reserve capacity and amp hours. I think its about $190 at batteryweb.com Last I ck'd the 31 was not available. I heard the gov. bought them all for military use, but that was a few months back.

WOW- some great feedback and very timely. Thanks all for the input, looks like the D34M is the battery of choice and I have started searching for good prices online. Will post pics of the install when complete.

THANKS AGAIN!

G-Pac

The "D" does mean Deep Cycle. From Optima's Website

What is the Difference?

OPTIMA® offers three battery models for your marine and R/V needs: the 34M, D34M, and D31M.

OPTIMA's D34M and D31M BlueTop batteries are dual-purpose batteries. They can be used in any deep cycle (marine accessory, R/V, trolling motor) or starting applications.

OPTIMA's 34M BlueTop battery is a starting battery. Although you can use a deep cycle battery in any application, starting batteries can only be used for starting applications.

Thanks NorCaliBu- I did look at the home page for the Optimas but did not dig as deep as I should have. Appreciate the assist on this.

G-Pac

As somewhat of a side note, about how may seasons can I expect to get out of the stock starter battery that came with my boat. I only have about 50 hours on the boat, & accidentally ran the battery down twice overnight with an accessory on. My battery is stored with a battery tender on it when the boat is winterized.

Thanks

Our '00 still has the stock battery. We bought the boat a year and a half ago and I keep thinking I'm going to have to replace it but it's still going strong. I have other batteries that haven't lasted half as long. Seems like a crap-shoot to me...

Over the years we have averaged about a battery every 2 years. This is for a lead acid battery. The gel cell batteries should last much longer as they are not subject to the deterioration from vibration. Also by having a much slower internal discharge rate they will stay charged, in storage, longer as well.

I have two wet cells from summer 02 in my boat and have about 425 hrs. and both are still good. I know the gels and agms are better but they cost over 2X as much but I cant see them lasting 2X as long.

Here is my 2 cents:

.....Since no one in our area carried the optimas I decided

to buy an Orbital and save some $$$.

Lakenut,

I am always into saving some $$$ so I took a look at your orbital

battery...Wow!!! Surprised.gif

I did not see the savings you are talking about but it is a great battery.

I did some research and this is what I found:

OATvsConesSm.JPG

74 Porsche 914 “California Poppy” - 1/4 mile in 13.810 seconds at 98.38 mph

(20) Excide Orbital ORB34DC-36 batteries and Zilla controller

“When I put in the weights and speeds for the best runs with the Optimas

and Orbitals it shows that the Orbitals give a bit more than 10% more power.

And they are doing this at only 90% of the weight” - Otmar Ebenhoech

When you match up the specs:

Excide Marine Starter (34M)

- 1000 Marine Cranking Amps

- 770 Cold Cranking Amps

- 95 minutes Reserve Capacity

- 50 Amp-Hr Capacity

- 35 Amps Max Charging Current

- < .0030 Ohms Internal Resistance

ORB34M-36 $117.00

Optima Marine Starter Battery (34M)

- 1000 Marine Cranking Amps (32 deg F)