Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering buying a 2000 Sunsetter Lexi

My wife and I are considering buying a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter Lxi. The boat has been well maintained as far as we can tell. The only potential problem I see is some rust around the exhaust manifolds (where the seal is). The owner did point it out saying that he wasn't aware of a leak. There was evidence of rust which made me think of a potential leak. He also said that he would consider getting stainless exhaust manifolds in the future If he were to keep it. With the price, I am still ok if I had to make this repair. My worry is that the damage is much worse than meets the eye. The motor has 286 hrs on it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a feeling it's nothing. Lots of these engines have the same style exhaust, and most of them show some hint of rust, yet last for years with no maintenance. Maybe at most replacing the gasket. Not even a cost issue.

If you could post a pic, maybe on picasso, or a link to youtube video of it? It wasn't in salt water was it?

Take it for a long test ride, periodically look at the exhaust gasket. You'll know if she's for you, good luck,

Steve B.

My 01 had rust on the bottom side of the manifolds when I bought it used in 04. 300+ hours later and no problems. I don't think it is uncommon at all and more cosmetic than anything. 286 hours is low for a 12 year old boat.

What are the rest of the details on the boat?

Steve B,

Thanks for the reply. It was in brackish water most of the time. The owners took extremely good care of the boat.

He was religious about about flushing with fresh water after each use. I did take it for a test ride/skied behind and loved it. I can try to post pictures in a bit. I really appreciate your feedback.

Lakenut,

Thanks for your reply. The owner pointed it out to me and said that he hadn't noticed any leaks but if I did in the future, it would be something to get looked at. It is a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter Lxi with 1 previous owner. Both owners had it stored in their garage. The upholstery was in tip tip top condition. Thanks again for your advice.

Bought a 2000 LXi winter before last season and absolutely love it. Mine has way more hours (840 when I bought it, now 967) and has been perfect. I see a little rust, too. I wouldn't worry about it. How much they asking?

Lakenut,

Thanks for your reply. The owner pointed it out to me and said that he hadn't noticed any leaks but if I did in the future, it would be something to get looked at. It is a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter Lxi with 1 previous owner. Both owners had it stored in their garage. The upholstery was in tip tip top condition. Thanks again for your advice.

Buy it, and go enjoy it!

Slap, thanks for the feedback. They are asking 19K for it.

I have an '01 SSLxi with similar hours and it too has the rust under the exhaust manifold. Never had an issue with it. I think it's pretty standard.

That's a pretty reasonable price, especially if it has any upgrades (wedge, tower, PP, ballast, etc). Tell us more about the boat.

that is not a bad price for what you will be getting, assuming it has a decent trailer and the boat is in great shape. I love my SSLXI, it is a heck of a boat for the money.

I got mine for 16k out the door (tax, title, and registration). Mine has a wedge, perfect pass, no tower. Came with a skylon, an extra prop, cover, single axle trailer. BUT - mine had triple the hours of yours, albeit babied and well maintained hours.

I think the 19k they are asking is a fair price, assuming its in beautiful condition. Awesome boat, you won't be sorry.

If you buy it, post some pics!

Edit: I also got 30 day warranty from date of delivery and free winterization, shrink wrap, outdoor storage for one winter, and springization/detailing. Sounds like you're buying from a private seller, but maybe you can mention the guy you know (from the crew ;-)) who bought the same boat from a dealer (in Connecticut no less) and got all those extra services thrown in. Maybe they'll take a little less? Never hurts to ask, especially if you show up with cash in hand. <shrug>

Edited by slap

Sounds like you got a great buy slap.

I should have taken pic's of mine when I was out today. But I did look, and mine has the typical rust they show. 1000 hours.

Steve B.

Let us know if you pull the trigger !

Thanks again guys! It comes with a dual axle trailer that is galvanized aluminum, skylon, boom, cover and with no tower. I really needed the galvanized aluminum trailer being that I am so close to the coast. I was told that it would cost me about $4,200 to buy one of these trailers. I did try to negotiate but thay were ready to walk. I really thought it was great value overall...... So I decided to pull the trigger. I am buying and pulling it home tomorrow. All you guys made me feel more confident about this purchase. My gut really told me the same thing but it was really nice to hear it from the experts. Thanks again for your support!

Cberry,

I don't know much about boats but, a lot of guys on here do.

That being said, I recently sold a 2000 WakeSetter VLX with the monsoon motor. It had 525 hrs. on it and was run in purely fresh water only. This pic. is my manifolds at about 400 hrs. When sold, the manifolds looked exactly the same.

My point being, rust like this is really just superficial. It's cast iron and unless you're gonna get down there and sand and spray paint every 2 seasons, this is what they'll all look like. My concern for you is the fact that the seller ran the boat in brackish water. Even with religious fresh water flushing, there could be a little more corrosion in your motor than most.

To that end, to be totally safe, and if you're concerned about a leak at the riser, I would replace the riser gaskets as my very first maintenance issue. This way you get in there and see what's going on inside the manifolds and risers. Preferably, before the sale actually happens.

I happen to have this and these as left over, un-used parts. I'd sell and ship them to you for $20 to your door.

ks.jpg

Cberry,

I don't know much about boats but, a lot of guys on here do.

That being said, I recently sold a 2000 WakeSetter VLX with the monsoon motor. It had 525 hrs. on it and was run in purely fresh water only. This pic. is my manifolds at about 400 hrs. When sold, the manifolds looked exactly the same.

My point being, rust like this is really just superficial. It's cast iron and unless you're gonna get down there and sand and spray paint every 2 seasons, this is what they'll all look like. My concern for you is the fact that the seller ran the boat in brackish water. Even with religious fresh water flushing, there could be a little more corrosion in your motor than most.

To that end, to be totally safe, and if you're concerned about a leak at the riser, I would replace the riser gaskets as my very first maintenance issue. This way you get in there and see what's going on inside the manifolds and risers. Preferably, before the sale actually happens.

I happen to have this and these as left over, un-used parts. I'd sell and ship them to you for $20 to your door.

ks.jpg

Pete, I sure could use the "this and these" if OP doesn't bight, please let me know, I would take them in a second.

Bozboat at gmail

Thanks again guys! It comes with a dual axle trailer that is galvanized aluminum, skylon, boom, cover and with no tower. I really needed the galvanized aluminum trailer being that I am so close to the coast. I was told that it would cost me about $4,200 to buy one of these trailers. I did try to negotiate but thay were ready to walk. I really thought it was great value overall...... So I decided to pull the trigger. I am buying and pulling it home tomorrow. All you guys made me feel more confident about this purchase. My gut really told me the same thing but it was really nice to hear it from the experts. Thanks again for your support!

Congrats!! Sounds like the beefed up trailer well justifies the price... I was sure wishing I had two axles when I lost a tire at highway speed last year. Now get out and enjoy the water while we still have some season left!