Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

oil change

i have 99 sunsetter lxi. owners manual says to use 20w50, thats easy to find but what about the API spec for the oil suggested in the owners manual? i cant seem to find the matching specs. any advice on what is the "proper oil"

What I have been told, On my newer engine the reason they use the diesel oil is that it has more cleaners in it, as our engines don't really get hot enough to burn away all the impurity's, And the reason most don't use synthetic is that you really don't get to use the benefits of a longer lasting oil, as Now most recommend changing on a boat that is loaded and used for Surf/Wakeboard every 40 HR and regular Use every 50 HR I'm on my second oil Change and really should have been my 3rd this year, I would just go with a good 20/50, Oil's have changed so much because of the emission and what have you, The specs will be different they are leaving out a few key additives now that 10 years used to be in most oils,

• Like 1
jkendallmsce

What I have been told, On my newer engine the reason they use the diesel oil is that it has more cleaners in it, as our engines don't really get hot enough to burn away all the impurity's, And the reason most don't use synthetic is that you really don't get to use the benefits of a longer lasting oil, as Now most recommend changing on a boat that is loaded and used for Surf/Wakeboard every 40 HR and regular Use every 50 HR I'm on my second oil Change and really should have been my 3rd this year, I would just go with a good 20/50, Oil's have changed so much because of the emission and what have you, The specs will be different they are leaving out a few key additives now that 10 years used to be in most oils,

Why is it that marine engines run soo cool? My old 1990 has a 143 degree therm. and the current LS3 runs at 160?? The LS3 is the same engine as in the corvettes, and they run at 200-205 degrees. adn from my old thermo class, you gain effeciency the warmer the engine...

Any body have any idea why they run soo cool??

adn from my old thermo class, you gain effeciency the warmer the engine...

This is correct.

Inboard marine motors are kept at a lower temp. b'c the engines are on board and enclosed. They need to keep the exhaust temps. down b'c right above the motor and manifolds is carpet and vinly (at least on V-drives). I think it's a C.G. requirement. You could pop in a 180* T-stat if you wanted.

• Like 1
jkendallmsce

This is correct.

Inboard marine motors are kept at a lower temp. b'c the engines are on board and enclosed. They need to keep the exhaust temps. down b'c right above the motor and manifolds is carpet and vinly (at least on V-drives). I think it's a C.G. requirement. You could pop in a 180* T-stat if you wanted.

Thanks Pete. I thought either the things on the boat that'll either catch on fire or melt..or both. I think someone else commented that it was a CG thing, but if so, what temp do diesels run at??

ANd at some temp, like I said my thermo class(es) were a few decades ago...at some temp the minerals in the water column become non soluble and or sticks to the plumbing...neither of which is good.

I always wanted to play with a 160 in my old skier, but never got around to it...ok I was too lazy!!

And on the LS3, not sure if the ECM, sensors, etc would not like a 20 degree increase in operating temp. But the same engine in the vette is running at either 200 or 205.

your car engine can run hotter because it has anti-freeze / anti-boil solution running through it. If you put in regular water, it all turns to steam.

in a boat, open cooling system, if you had a 200+ degree thermostat you would be boiling the water. At 212F it is fully boiling,but the action starts much sooner than that.

• Like 1
jkendallmsce

your car engine can run hotter because it has anti-freeze / anti-boil solution running through it. If you put in regular water, it all turns to steam.

in a boat, open cooling system, if you had a 200+ degree thermostat you would be boiling the water. At 212F it is fully boiling,but the action starts much sooner than that.

Then if you had a closed cooling sytem on your boat, like what Malibu offers as an option...do those run also at 160 or a higher temp??