Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New member here just introducing myself

Maliboon715

Hey just wanted to poke my head up and tell you guys I like this four

Alot, my girlfriend and I just picked up a new to us 96 Malibu response LX with a wedge and tower powered by a monsoon 320. We love the boat and I have been cruising the forum ever sincei joined a few days ago. I do have a quick question, if there is already a known forum started on the matter then I apologize for redundancy. We had our response in for a few days and the wedge was hard to move up and down, and I wanted to chnge the engine and tranny oil just to feel better about knowing they are both fresh. So I pulled the boat out of the water and started lookin her over, she's got a CVP 13x13 stainless prop that is in good shape. When I stepped back from the wedge I noticed a slight tweak, so I removed it and the right leg screws holding the wedge to its legs were loose and BENT!! I have seen pics and heard the horror stories of them breaking and bending. (sorry to be long winded) my question is can the wedge legs be straightened? I belive they are made of bronze, the right leg has a very small bow in it, probably 3/4in at the radius of the bow. My thoughts were to cold work it straight very slowly and gently. Anybody have any experiance with this? By the way my name is Alex and I am from Massachusetts.

Welcome to the crew.

Do a search for the bent wedge that is talked about quite offen.

The CVP prop is a dangerest prop and have been know to throw blades. This should be replace immediately!

Welcome! You'll learn a lot here and we're glad to help. :werule:

First, get rid of that CVP prop asap! I was out with my brother on his '99 Sportster when his CVP prop threw blade, pretty scary stuff.

Welcome to the crew!!

Good to have you here. As others have suggested, get rid of that CVP prop as soon as possible. Not only are they dangerous, but you can really clean the wake up with a different prop.

Enjoy your new steed and be sure to post some pics!

I boat on Lake boon that's where my cheesy user name comes from haha. I'm not to concerned about the CVP prop. I am an aircraft mechanic and am very on point with regular inspections of my equipment. When I saw the wedge fasteners bent I was like HOLY SH*%!! So I will be checking up on it on a regular basis. I also pulled the prop to have a close look at it and to do a dye penetrant inspection on it, and check static balance and tip tracking etc. I do plan on getting a different prop this winter for it, I want to get one that suits our usage better. I will try to find the posting about fixing the wedge tonight. Does anyone have any input on straightening the leg? Heat it? Cold work it?

martinarcher

Hey Alex. Welcome to the crew!

Like others have said, pitch that CVP or use it as a spare only. Throwing a blade at speed is no joke and those props were notorious for it.

As far as the wedge, those bolts are a common failure point for the fixed wedge. I would remove the arm and bend it straight again while it is cold. Do NOT use heat as the Nibral will not like it and the results will be you needing a new arm. After that, I would replace all the foil mounting bolts (between the arms and the bottom foil plate). Another fix lots of guys have done to beef up that failure point is to drill a third hole on each arm between the two factory bolt holes and tap the arm to accept a third bolt to strengthen the arm to foil mouting connection.

Post up some pics of the new ride - we love pics!

Good luck with the new boat and be safe out there!

Hey Martinarcher thanks for the pointer on straightening the wedge legs. I started working them lastnight and they were responding well to being bent cold and gently. I went to the local hardware store and got some screws for the wedge foil to hold it to the legs, and all I could find was stainless hillmam brand 5/16-18 x1in countersunk screws. In grade 8 or grade 5 all they had was hex and cap screws. Am I better off going with the hIgher strength fastener that will protrude from the surface of the foil(wedge)? Or should the stainless be ok? With the cap screws and hex heads I would just be concerned about The parasitic drag that the heads would incur by not being flush. The upside to the ones with protruding heads is that I can drill the heads and use some .032 or .041 eve

Safety wire to keep them from backing out. I am going to look in my aircraft spruce book today and see what I can find for countersunk Allen screws, just would be nice to use it until I get the stronger screws (if I need them at all). Awesome forum guys! My girl was getting pissed because I'm sitting up in bed reading and reading and reading on the forums last night! Haha being a mechanic and a enthusiast I can identify a good info site when I find one!

jkendallmsce

Welcome as well/ You have a great boat...light, fast and a great wake. The monsson is almost bullet proof.

ANd yep on the changing fluids, specially if you don't know the history.

SOunds like you have access to some technical stuff most of us don't have.

ANd the fixes to the wedge along with your wiring them and adding a 3rd should keep them from coming loose.

Everything I've read about those CVP props is bad. We are talking throwing blades on a brand new looking prop that has no signs of any stress or damage. Inspections won't save you.

martinarcher

Hey Martinarcher thanks for the pointer on straightening the wedge legs. I started working them lastnight and they were responding well to being bent cold and gently. I went to the local hardware store and got some screws for the wedge foil to hold it to the legs, and all I could find was stainless hillmam brand 5/16-18 x1in countersunk screws. In grade 8 or grade 5 all they had was hex and cap screws. Am I better off going with the hIgher strength fastener that will protrude from the surface of the foil(wedge)? Or should the stainless be ok? With the cap screws and hex heads I would just be concerned about The parasitic drag that the heads would incur by not being flush. The upside to the ones with protruding heads is that I can drill the heads and use some .032 or .041 eve

Safety wire to keep them from backing out. I am going to look in my aircraft spruce book today and see what I can find for countersunk Allen screws, just would be nice to use it until I get the stronger screws (if I need them at all). Awesome forum guys! My girl was getting pissed because I'm sitting up in bed reading and reading and reading on the forums last night! Haha being a mechanic and a enthusiast I can identify a good info site when I find one!

No problem. I would use the stainless countersunk screws in that application. Just be sure to use three in each leg as that has been the fixed used by many here on the board to prevent the foil from disconnecting from one arm and seriously bending the other arm.

I hear you on that one! When I first joined I spent weeks just reading through old threads. There is a ton of good stuff and good people here. :)

I live in Seattle, but have an opprtunity to move to Boston, Massachusetts area. Boating is great out here with my 08 WS LSV. Is there any good water in the Boston area.

Brian

I live in Seattle, but have an opprtunity to move to Boston, Massachusetts area. Boating is great out here with my 08 WS LSV. Is there any good water in the Boston area.

Brian

Not much boating IN Boston (except duck boats, swan boats, skull/crew on the Charles River, or ocean going vessels in Boston Hahbah), but north/west of Boston, (within an hours drive) and southern/central NH, (~2hrs from Boston) there's plenty of lakes and rivers, and good water to be found...Geographically speaking, where are you considering? With a 23LSV I'll assume you're looking to surf/wakeboard...PM me if you like, and I could give you plenty of details...