Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you hear a megaphone boat to boat?

wakeboarder3780

I would like to buy a nice megaphone to ream out wallys that are tailing my rider. Does anyone know if a decent megaphone can be heard over all the boat engine noise from boat to boat? Usually the Wally is about 150' from the boat.

In the mean time I'll get an air horn and wave them off, but that doesn't always worked. I've gotten other boat's attention and waved them off and they stay right on course. Some days I wish I could just bring out the .45 and put it in the glove box. Firing a few off the wally's bow would get his attention i bet.

Not sure about a megaphone, but you guys with your 42 GigaWatt sounds systems could pick up one of the Mr.Microphones and give them a proper chewing out.

Then later you could cruise by the dock and try out the classic "Hey, Good Looking...Be back to pick you up later" line made famous in the commercials.

Edited by RTS
  • Like 2

I have used a megaphone many times and it works pretty well. I always picked up the 19.95 model at the local autoparts store. In fact last time I bought three...two for gifts to buddies I ride with.

Another thing that is GREAT for people tailing too close is a homemade prop rope. Take two tennis balls, cut holes in them for a piece of 10-20ft of rope. Then fill the tennis balls up with expanding foam. Next time a driver is tailing your rider too close throw that thing out there in the path of the boat tailing you....making sure your rider knows it's coming. If everything goes properly it will wind around their prop...leaving them dead in the water. Obviously this is for the more "extreme" circumstances. However after having a fisherman literally get "photographer close" to my rider (less than 8 ft) because he wanted to pass us in a narrow channel I deemed the tool "neccessary".

• Like 3

Seeing how most Wallys drive in classic tuber stance (one knee on the drivers seat, standing up, and looking back), I'm sure they'll hear you just fine.

I am a big fan of the prop rope idea mentioned above though.

Another thing that is GREAT for people tailing too close is a homemade prop rope. Take two tennis balls, cut holes in them for a piece of 10-20ft of rope. Then fill the tennis balls up with expanding foam. Next time a driver is tailing your rider too close throw that thing out there in the path of the boat tailing you....making sure your rider knows it's coming. If everything goes properly it will wind around their prop...leaving them dead in the water.

Have you used this on someone yet? Curious what the other boat drivers reaction would be after they got it sorted.

Have you used this on someone yet? Curious what the other boat drivers reaction would be after they got it sorted.

Probably similar to if you shot someone in the eye with a paintball gun or a flare gun. :biggrin:

Okay, maybe not quite as severe of a reaction, but I wouldn't employ the Whale Wars prop fouler, nor would I shoot something at random people on the lake. Maybe it's just me but I like to keep my stuff to myself, you know--house, cars, money, freedom, etc. It's fun to joke on the internetz, but be careful out there in the real world. :cheers:

Too funny Liquidmx. I imagine there could be some serious repercussions if you got caught doing anything like that.

One the other hand, kinda reminds of a time......

We're in my brother's old Prostar 190, tied up at the beach, hangin out, having some food. The boat is tied up, swimstep just off the beach, staked to the shore, and an anchor out a ways holding the boat out. Some guy in a jet ski came by super close to the shore & got his anchor line sucked into his impeller.... killed the jet ski in the water. My brother realizes what is going on & gets pissed. He walks out & in waist deep water, flips the jetski over & starts pulling his anchor line out of the guy's intake. The guy is an idiot & doesn't have a clue what is going on. After a few minutes of yanking anchor line, it's all out & my brother releases the jet ski, yelling at the guy to stay clear of the shore line & all the boats on it.

....... then the jet ski sank. :rofl:

my last time camping I came back to our campsite (where we'd left our anchor on a buoy and our shore spike and rope on shore) to find some moron had beached his boat and tied it off with my shore line! So I yell at him to get down to shore and move his freaking boat. So dufus stumbles down to shore with his buddy. Dufus gets in the boat and pulls his anchor (he was using a clothesline for an anchor line... safety first!) and backs up while his buddy unties my rope from his boat. Then dufus buddy walks to my shore spike and starts pulling it out.

Me "dude wtf are you doing, that's mine?!?!"

Dufus Buddy: "hu, wha... I just found this rope here man..."

Me "no, you found MY rope right where I left it."

Dufus Buddy: "oh so like you are staying here for a while....?"

Dufus and Dufus Buddy got their boat tied off again finally and then went back up to poach a campsite and build a big charcoal BBQ.... nevermind the "no fire" restrictions everywhere.

Half an hour later or so, a boat of campers comes in loaded up with a weekend's worth of camping gear to schlep up to their site. Guess whose campsite the two dufus buddies poached?

jkendallmsce

Like I said in the other thread about the PWC's getting too close, get a flare gun and a box of flares. :)

The flare gun works great...if you can get close, when the flare hits the water and begins to sink, a sphere about 3-4 ft in diameter lights up...so at night, it is even more effective.