Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HOW MUCH WEIGHT IS TOO MUCH

Tha5-0

I have a 1998 response lx. I was considering buy some fat sacs. I was originally looking at the 400lbs sacs(one on each side of the engine box) but didn't want to be left disappointed wishing I would have got the 750lbs sacs. But now I'm hearing that 750s might be too much weight for my boat. Does Anybody have a similar setup.

I was gonna say the same thing, if cost is not an issue, get the 750's and just don't fill them all the way if you want less weight. I put my wedge down and one 750 sack on the side of my motor and it throws a pretty nice surf wake as well. And it fits really nicely.

I know we have different boats But Yes you can over load them for sure, And I did not see any real advantage to all the weight we put in, On My 2010 VLX I had 10 People, All stock Ballast Full (Surf Side) and A 750 In Rear Locker, Then a 400 Lb On the surf Side along with a 300 L:b Up Front, WAY TOO MUCH WEIGHT, Not to mention UN Safe, It took some pretty good driving not to swamp her.. And the wave was not that much better..

My friend has a 98 Sunsetter LX we ride wedge down a must in his boat. 1100 surf side and 400 in the back seat prop 537. Works great tried adding weight to the front didn't work for us. We spent about 2 hour finding the best set up for us so we have a little time invested. good luck

I had the 750's, 400 in the locker plus the wedge. No issues, took a little while getting on a plane but really nothing too bad.

Now, I'm running a 750 in the rear, 400 on either side of the motor, 400 in the locker and 400-500 in the bow plus the wedge. Still gets on a plane with 4-5 people in the boat.

I'd go with 750's. and for a surf setup, do the 750's in an L shape in the rear.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

If your boat is non-responsive and becomes unsafe to drive, you are adding too much weight. A friend learned that lesson a few years ago in his Sanger...

My friend has a 98 Sunsetter LX we ride wedge down a must in his boat. 1100 surf side and 400 in the back seat prop 537. Works great tried adding weight to the front didn't work for us. We spent about 2 hour finding the best set up for us so we have a little time invested. good luck

537 on a sunsetter LX? Might want to have that looked at....

The way I look at it is the better my skills are, the more I save on gas. :rockon:

But you use one of the fancy space age chair thingies ;) ...yes, I am jealous...

to the OP, I put nearly 2klbs in my RLX all the time. A little slower out of the hole and a bit more susceptible to taking water over the bow, but the wake is worth it :clap:

But you use one of the fancy space age chair thingies ;) ...yes, I am jealous...

Thanks Paul,

But believe me, no matter what your riding, a foil or a board, a good sized ramp to take off from will do you some good. But like anything else, at some point there is a point of diminishing returns.

I find that I like to ride behind my own 21' Vride with full ballast if I don't have many people on board. The more people I have, typically I'll run a bit less ballast. The wake ends up being a medium size, nice ramp. Then the day I go out behind a boat with a huge wake, my skills are dialed & I can really put my money where my mouth is. :surprised:

I would go with the 400's because flimsy half-filled 750's can be annoying to have around in the boat. I like to fill my bags up firm so I can stack items on top or people can sit on them. I suppose you could fill a 750 with half water and pump it up the rest with air to make it firm but that would be a hassle.

Well for goodness sakes get it off that is way too steep for that boat!

This is a friends boat. He had the original prop on it and when he tried to let the wedge down the boat wouldn't plane. So he added a new prop. What would be a better prop. What is wrong with that prop. :dontknow: I will tell him.

Your boat isn't super wide so you should be able to sink it in the water nicely without a ton of weight in there, and the wake/wave will change a lot depending on the weight distribution.

I have a 1998 response lx. I was considering buy some fat sacs. I was originally looking at the 400lbs sacs(one on each side of the engine box) but didn't want to be left disappointed wishing I would have got the 750lbs sacs. But now I'm hearing that 750s might be too much weight for my boat. Does Anybody have a similar setup.

I had a 1998 Response LX and we used to weight it with 250lb fat sacks, one in the bow two beside the motor box and one in the rear, I think the 750's would be overkill IMO. I will try to find a picture of the wake, but for a direct drive boat it was pretty nice.