Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

88 skier sitting for 8 years.

snowdan

so i posted awhile ago about an 88 skier that had been sitting for years. I have been trying to get her running and in the process realized the starter was shot. The new starter shows up tomorrow and the carb has been rebuilt all fluids changed now just crossing my fingers. If everything goes well and she runs on a hose is there anything else I can check or service on the transmission or steering system before I put her in a lake for a test run?

I would make sure there is fluid in the trans. When you put it in the water, just check the prop shaft and rudder to make sure you're not taking on too much water. Other than that? Take an oar.

I would bet the fuel tank and all the fuel lines are gummed up and in bad shape after sitting for 8 years. Rebuilding the carb alone may not give you reliable trouble-free running. Also after sitting 8 years it might be wise to change the steering cable and the throttle cable for the sake of reliability. Probably also wise to check the boot/hose around the prop shaft for decay....

Check the plugs and maybe spray a bit of marvel myster oil into cylinder then replace plug. Remove the coil wire and turn over the engine a couple of times w/o coil wire to lube the cylinders before you run the motor. You could also install the petronix electronic ignition system ( 15 minute job) for better startup and smoother running. I am not sure if you said that you changed the fuel water seperator filter but do so. I had to change my fresh water intake hose as if was original and was starting to fail. Like stated before impellar for sure.