Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailer problem!

brettpendl

OK, just to post an update, still no contact made with Extreme, and still not at the least bit surprised. My local dealership said they are going to raise the trailer for me so I can keep the 15 inch rims I have. While describing it they made it sound real easy and basic. Discount Tires found me some Carlisle 205/75R15 tires that will hold 2100 pounds a piece which is more than enough. They are about $110 a tire.

So after all is said and done, and with this latest problem with my Extreme Trailer, I am out another $700-$800 (5 new tires), after I had to replace all of them 2 years ago because they put on 4 year old tires on a brand new trailer, and after numerous expensive brake problems which I've lost track of.

Extreme Trailers, I hope you go out of business...

On a side note, anyone around SoCal need any of these Carlisle 235/60r15 tires? I have 3 of them that are only 2 years old! :biggrin:

OK, just to post an update, still no contact made with Extreme, and still not at the least bit surprised. My local dealership said they are going to raise the trailer for me so I can keep the 15 inch rims I have. While describing it they made it sound real easy and basic. Discount Tires found me some Carlisle 205/75R15 tires that will hold 2100 pounds a piece which is more than enough. They are about $110 a tire.

So after all is said and done, and with this latest problem with my Extreme Trailer, I am out another $700-$800 (5 new tires), after I had to replace all of them 2 years ago because they put on 4 year old tires on a brand new trailer, and after numerous expensive brake problems which I've lost track of.

Extreme Trailers, I hope you go out of business...

had the same issues, old tires on my new trailer, blowouts galore...found tires thru Discount Tire that fit without adjusting fenders, they are 10 ply trailer tires and were the best piece of mind purchase i have made. Won't be at the lake till the weekend to check brand and size, let me know if you want/need that info.

I don't know if anyone else has had struggles getting in contact with Extreme, but - my emails to their published email kept getting bounced, and for once i actually got a live person on the phone today. I received a different email address for anyone that needs it under their service arm. That email is - [email protected] and Brett - I'm with you - I can't imagine their business staying viable with this type of service. As I understand it - Malibu no longer uses them for new boats? I think they are going more Boatmate now?

Our extreme trailer, although a small problem, but the set screw that holds the guide post in place, well it keeps coming loose and falling out. poor design, as there is not enough thread in the receiver tube...where a simple pin witha cotter pin would have worked much better. I have not lost a guide post, but know of folks who have...which would make me happy.

I too had the problem with the set screw backing itself out from vibration and had even lost a few along the way. At an industrial supply shop, I found the stainless steel set screws that had a "rubberized" coating on most of the threads (some type of lock-tite I believe). These have worked without a hitch. The "lock-tite does not wear out and despite being tightened and loosened about 25 times or so, they still hold tight.

• Like 1

Real quick, can you guys explain what the set screw is?

It's the screw that holds in the vertical side rails. It should be on the outboard side of each of the verticle posts.

jkendallmsce

Our extreme trailer, although a small problem, but the set screw that holds the guide post in place, well it keeps coming loose and falling out. poor design, as there is not enough thread in the receiver tube...where a simple pin witha cotter pin would have worked much better. I have not lost a guide post, but know of folks who have...which would make me happy.

I too had the problem with the set screw backing itself out from vibration and had even lost a few along the way. At an industrial supply shop, I found the stainless steel set screws that had a "rubberized" coating on most of the threads (some type of lock-tite I believe). These have worked without a hitch. The "lock-tite does not wear out and despite being tightened and loosened about 25 times or so, they still hold tight.

I used lock tight too and that seems to have worked. I think the real problem, is that there is not enough material to thread. they need to increase the wall thickness of the receiver...either heavier tubing or welding a plate.....and for some reason, right now I can't remeber, but the threads were funny....not SAE...so maybe metric??

ANyway I was able to get extras,,,so if any more fall out, I have replacements on hand.

Weird.

I park my boat in a pretty narrow RV space beside my house. I pull one side trailer guide post everytime I park it in there. The screw is an allen head. Comes out & goes back in easily.

I've never pulled the other side guide post out at all. Neither bolt has ever backed out on it's own.

I bought a SAE steel bolt for it recently. Don't recall what the size of it is. Coarse thread. I'm planning on welding a cross piece to the head of it so I can remove/install it without any tools. I'll have to paint it so it doesn't rust. Then maybe some grease/anti-seize on the threads.

I too was pleased to find out that my '08 extreme came with tires from '03! Tried contacting about a spare last fall....no luck. Haven't had a problem yet, but tow less than 5 min. To either lake

Hello there, I'm new to the site and saw this about Extreme Trailers so I thought I should chime in. I've had three boats, I think the first two trailers were DHM and now with my Malibu 03 Response LXi I have an Extreme. I purchased the boat and trailer new. I have taken out 3 props on the prop guard. The trailer has to be at the very precise water level to load the boat on the trailer, or I'm the idiot on the ramp that can't get their boat on the trailer. Has anyone ever modified their prop guard? The trailer I also have has the spare tire holder on the left side of the trailer. I've noticed other trailers have them on the right side. What's the big deal? Well if you have a flat then you are on the traffic side and no safety was considered. I often thing that Cope and McPheteres must have got a deal on the trailer because of the flaws. I to, feel that Extreme trailers are not the best out there!

• Like 1
jkendallmsce

Hello there, I'm new to the site and saw this about Extreme Trailers so I thought I should chime in. I've had three boats, I think the first two trailers were DHM and now with my Malibu 03 Response LXi I have an Extreme. I purchased the boat and trailer new. I have taken out 3 props on the prop guard. The trailer has to be at the very precise water level to load the boat on the trailer, or I'm the idiot on the ramp that can't get their boat on the trailer. Has anyone ever modified their prop guard? The trailer I also have has the spare tire holder on the left side of the trailer. I've noticed other trailers have them on the right side. What's the big deal? Well if you have a flat then you are on the traffic side and no safety was considered. I often thing that Cope and McPheteres must have got a deal on the trailer because of the flaws. I to, feel that Extreme trailers are not the best out there!

Oh ya, good ole Copes. They are out of business, arem't they??

I can't seem to find those screws anywhere. Where did you find them? Id be willing to buy some off of you or send you payment to pick some up and ship them to me. I've lost both.

jkendallmsce

I can't seem to find those screws anywhere. Where did you find them? Id be willing to buy some off of you or send you payment to pick some up and ship them to me. I've lost both.

Larsen is you closest dealer..call them

jkendallmsce

Larsen? Who are they? Marine dealer or parts?

BOTH!!

Your local Malibu dealer...they are on hwy 50 in past Watt Ave/in Rancho Cordova ..I think Larsen's is still the Nautique dealer, but that is in Stockon. I have dealt with/used the Stockton store on many occasions and always helpful, work is done on time. friendly, etc. ...Call the Stockton store and talk to Tom...he'll be able to help you out.

Larsen picked up the Malibu dealership after Copes went outta business.

And just to post an update, Paradise Watersports in Murrieta lifted my trailer for me. GET THIS. When they lifted it they found it was off balance. The left side was three notches (Whatever that means in actual measurements) from the right side. It came like this from Extreme! They think the added weight to one side may be a contributing factor to my right side tires blowing out.

Once again, Thank you Extreme!

I got a spare for my extreme tandem trailer. The tire size is the same. The tire brand is different but it is also a radial. But, the wheel is different. Would it be a problem to use the spare if one blows? I'm guessing the weights might be different. Cars often use different wheels for the spare so I'm hoping it's ok.

So - listening to all these complaints about Extreme - and their lack of customer service - do we have any attorneys on our group? I think a nice little class action might get their attention........its more the principle then anything else now - they just plain piss me off.....

• 1 month later...

I just had a roller added to the front cross member that my boat hit. Ryan Trailers here locally welded on the roller - did a great job (I'll try and get some photos) for $370. The other issue he brought up on these trailers was the torsion axle's - not if but when they will fail. I will probably have him take out those axles (when i fail) and replace with standard leaf springs. My buddy has an '07 and his failed 2 yrs ago - so I'm sure its just a matter of time for mine. Has anyone had this happen? and if so - is there a "fix" on the road you can do if it fails - like a block or something? I would like to be prepared if it does happen - i don't think there is anyway to chain it up is there??

I just had a roller added to the front cross member that my boat hit. Ryan Trailers here locally welded on the roller - did a great job (I'll try and get some photos) for $370. The other issue he brought up on these trailers was the torsion axle's - not if but when they will fail. I will probably have him take out those axles (when i fail) and replace with standard leaf springs. My buddy has an '07 and his failed 2 yrs ago - so I'm sure its just a matter of time for mine. Has anyone had this happen? and if so - is there a "fix" on the road you can do if it fails - like a block or something? I would like to be prepared if it does happen - i don't think there is anyway to chain it up is there??

I don't know about a fix, but am interested in what you find out. can you replace the rubber torsion part?? seems drastic to go back to springs....always thought was a bad idea!! Looks cool though...always go for subtance over what looks cool!! I have an 2007 trailer....made by Extreme.

You can't just replace the rubber torsion part unfortuantely. It's a whole axle relacement. That's why -when it happens i will just up/down grade to good ole' leaf springs. He said it would be around $1k to change out. That is assuming my hub assembly could be reused - which he thought it could be. I just did a full brake job and replaced my hubs, bearings, etc and oil bath with grease bearing buddies'. Again - something I'm way more comfortabel with maintaining after 30 yrs of boating.