Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailer problem!

brettpendl

Well this might be a follow up to my earlier rant and rave post but this is a real search for similar experiences and what anyone did!

So here is what I have. I have an 08 Malibu 23LSV on an 08 Extreme Trailer. Extreme is a company in Rialto Ca., and most Malibu boats around here tend to have Extreme trailers they ride on.

Here is what has happened in the past. 2 years ago in 2010 I blew two tires in one summer. (on a side note I found out Extreme put tires made in 2004 on my brand new 2008 trailer, thanks!) The tires on this 08 trailer are sized ST235/60r15. Most importantly is the 15 inch rim with what I've learned are considered to be low profile trailer tires. Replacement tires were extremely hard to find with most companies telling me that this size is not a trailer tire. When trying to find alternatives I learned there was no alternative because the wheel housing area of the trailer was so small, larger tires can not fit inside of it.

Eventually a local tire shop figured out Carlisle was the only company to make these sized tires and I got replacements which were nice and expensive. Oh well...

This last month I blew 2 more tires. Here is the real problem, CARLISLE NO LONGER MAKES THESE SIZE TIRES! There is no trailer tire I can find with a class C or D rating that will fit in the wheel wells. Discount Tires learned there were 4 of these size tires across the county left in their affiliate stores, but upon calling, it seems like everyone knew of this problem and these tires were already reserved.

I have called multiple tire companies, and have learned I'm not the first person with this problem with Extreme and nobody has an easy solution other than buy all new 14 inch wheels which will provide the extra clearance for larger and normal trailer tires. I'm looking at around $1000 for all new wheels and tires.

I've also exhausted searching EBAY and CL. I posted this question on Wakeworld also.

Has anybody with an Extreme trailer encountered this problem and found another solution? Thanks in advance.

I have had issues not with the trailer, but carlise tires in general. First trailer was an ellis, and blew 3 of the four original tires within 6 months of owning the thing. I don't remember the size of tires on that one, but I went to a bridgestone/firestone LT tire and never had an issue. 8 years later, an extreme trailer now, carlise on them, I have blown two tires this summer, replaced with carlises (against better judgement) and one of them just went bad as the tread separated after two months and less than 200 miles. I know you will get mixed opinions on this, but I will be switching to a non trailer tires as I never had an issue with them on my old trailer after 7 years. Just go with a non trailer. if you want a 14 rim and tire heres what I found with just a fast search, should not break the bank

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_and_Wheels-gw-215%7C75~14.aspx

http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/ST21575R14-Radial-Tire-mounted-on-a-Galvanized-5-bolt-Wheel_p_97.html

http://www.trailertirewarehouse.com/ST215-75D14-6PLY-5H-CHROME-DIRECTIONAL-ASSEMBLY-TTW-071421565CD.htm

I have the same problem except I only need a spare right now. I totally understand your frustration. My fenders seem to have some room to spare so a local tire dealer is going to test fit some 75 series tires. I figure it is time to replace them all anyway. Let me know what you figure out and I will do the same.

Ironic timing - I just had a blow out on my 2008 trailer. Same as you Brett - my tires were manufactured in 2004 (what a rip-off!!) If you haven't had the problem yet - also watch out with the final cross beam - you will end up hitting it and trashing your hull if you put in on a steep ramp - this trailer was NOT designed correctly for this Hull. I have seen mods and plan on having a local trailer manufacture put a roller on that cross member.

As far as the tires - I just yesterday replaced all of them with BF Goodrich T/A tires. Obviously the load rating is not the same as trailer tires - it does still cover the overall weight - even loaded. Based on my dialog with Ryan trailers here locally - that is what most the people are doing - and have WAY better luck than with the CRAP tires Carlsile sells. (or sold)

Brett, as long as you aren't having a garage clearance issue, you can just rotate the spindles to give you more clearance. Most of us that moved the spindles actually went lower because there was too much room between tire and fender.

MalibuKarl, YUP, I learned the cross beam thing the hard way too. I hate this trailer! So these new tires fit on the boat? What size are they?

SkiBreeze, what do you mean by rotating the spindles? I'm not that tech savvy.

jkendallmsce

In fact there is a DIY how to raise and lower/adjust your axles...as long as you have the torsion type axles. With that adjustment you can fit almost any size tire/wheel ya want.

Just my suggestion, but go with the heavier rating...tires will last longer. There is a reason why trailer tires use a different rim than car tires. It has a better bead/surface area to hold the tire and maintain air pressure.

jkendallmsce

MalibuKarl, YUP, I learned the cross beam thing the hard way too. I hate this trailer! So these new tires fit on the boat? What size are they?

Look at the DIY section. You can adjust/rotate your axles to accomodate almost any size wheel that fits the bolt pattern. Ya just need a big wrench...don't know what size...but waaay bigger than what most have have.

The treailer is out the lake house, but ours has 17 inch wheels. Not sure about the tire size.

Extreme trailers suck im having issues with my trailer and the company's customer service sucks! dont know how a company like this can stay in buisness

• Like 2

Extreme trailers suck im having issues with my trailer and the company's customer service sucks! dont know how a company like this can stay in buisness

My tires are the same size as the stock Carlisle tires - but BF Goodrich T/A

I agree their customer service is the worst - I'm not one to sue - but a class action seems somewhat appropriate here (at least for us 08 owners. My trailer mod is going to be around 4-$500 to do it right, and i was quoted for the fiberglass damage at $1200. I think Extreme owe me this money for repairs - not to mention a pain in the A#$#@ to deal with. Here is a quote from their site on their design:

It Has to Be the Best Built Boat Trailer Period. We Design each trailer by custom fitting the Trailer to the actual boat , not to the blue print. This allows us to provide the best possible fit and protection for your boat. We utilize our experience and expertise in providing trailers for demanding performance applications to tackle every design aspect from the big picture to the most minute detail. Our trailers have to be the not only the best built, but the best looking and most functional and user friendly possible. YA - RIGHT........NOT!!

What did you do to fix the issue with the trailer? Raise the bunks? add a roller?

No, as it turns out hitting the cross member is actually avoidable, but shouldn't have ever been an issue if it wasn't for a bad trailer design. I learned having the front of the keel hitting the cross member was from putting the trailer to deep in the water. I'll try to make this make sense, but what happens is when the trailer is perfectly positioned on the ramp and the fenders are just about an inch or so under the water (which doesn't feel deep enough), you drive the boat straight on and the front of the boat hits the rear bunks and immediately slides upwards. That makes the front of the boat actually clear that damn cross beam, and move over it. If the trailer is too low then the front of the keel floats over the back of the bunks and hits that cross member.

I know this may not make sense but it actually works if you put the fenders just barely under the water. Since this was described to me I haven't damaged the keel anymore.

OK, as for the spindle adjusting, there is no way I'm skilled enough to even consider taking on that project. Maybe someone around Southern California who has done this who can do it for a little $ maybe?!?!

And I just got a quote for 5 newer smaller 14 inch rims that can hold a normal D rated trailer tire, and 5 new D rated 14 inch tires from Discount Tires. Just under $1,100.00.

And its been a week of speaking with front desk clerks at Extreme over the phone, getting the run around and getting transferred to other people's voicemail with no result.

I've paid more for repairing this Extreme trailer than my actual Malibu boat.

On my 2011 I have a SBT trailer, they are using good year tires. Is extreme still in business? The SBT seems to be very similar to the Extreme trailer. I have had no issue (knock on wood) but I often wonder about the tire quality.... anyone know anything about goodyear?

OK, as for the spindle adjusting, there is no way I'm skilled enough to even consider taking on that project. Maybe someone around Southern California who has done this who can do it for a little $ maybe?!?!

And I just got a quote for 5 newer smaller 14 inch rims that can hold a normal D rated trailer tire, and 5 new D rated 14 inch tires from Discount Tires. Just under $1,100.00.

And its been a week of speaking with front desk clerks at Extreme over the phone, getting the run around and getting transferred to other people's voicemail with no result.

I've paid more for repairing this Extreme trailer than my actual Malibu boat.

the desk clerk did the samething to me to... put me on hold transffered me to different extentions and went to voice mail. tired emailing them and calling leaving messages for two weeks and no one called back or replied my emails... finally spoke to a "Tony" who says hes one of the owners and told me basically im screwed when my trailer came screwed up from the factory....

I too have been disappointed with the Extreme- I learned about the tire sizing when I was taking a road trip and elected to get a spare - Les Schwab hooked me up with a different size wheel and tire which fit and didn't break the bank. I have a question for those that have had blow-outs - do you folks store your trailer outside and otherwise exposed to the elements?

I too have been disappointed with the Extreme- I learned about the tire sizing when I was taking a road trip and elected to get a spare - Les Schwab hooked me up with a different size wheel and tire which fit and didn't break the bank. I have a question for those that have had blow-outs - do you folks store your trailer outside and otherwise exposed to the elements?

My trailer is always stored inside. I think just the age was the issue - the fact i have 04 tires on an 08 trailer is pretty bogus. I can not belive with what i have seen, and hear about with respect to Extreme's lack of customer service. How can a company l ike this be in business? I know that our local dealer no longer uses them for the boats - they go to a local manufacture - who has amazing customer service - Ryan trailers.

jkendallmsce

Customer service as a whole sucks any more. You're either tallking to some one in a terd world country or making minimum wage and can barely string two sentences that make any sense!!

Our extreme trailer, although a small problem, but the set screw that holds the guide post in place, well it keeps coming loose and falling out. poor design, as there is not enough thread in the receiver tube...where a simple pin witha cotter pin would have worked much better. I have not lost a guide post, but know of folks who have...which would make me happy.

I am gonna have to check the age of the tires. We orginally ordered the trailer along with a 2007 LXI SE...but Malibu took the boat back due to numerous problems and repalced it with a 2010 LXI. so the trailer has all the fancy schamcy stuff on it like the LEDs and the 17 in rims. I do know they are a passanger tire, not a trailer tire...so getting replacements may be a problem. Has anyone seen or know of a 17 inch trailer tire...that is D load rated??

Edited by jkendallmsce

There are a dozen threads on this forum alone about how bad experiences have been with various brands of trailer tires.

I have an 05 Extreme trailer under my Vride. Other than loosing one of the pieces of diamond plate at the boat ramp (found it, fixed it, never had the problem again), I haven't had any trouble with the trailer.

I did purchase the boat used & the PO installed 17" rims & W rated Pirelli tires on it..... rated for up to 168 mph. :Doh: Initially I thought it was kind of stupid. But after 4+ years of reading about all the horrible experiences with the various brands of trailer tires, I haven't touched them. And I haven't had any problems with them. The trailer probably on gets 3k - 4k miles put on it every year. But it's enough that I won't be converting the trailer back to trailer rims/tires anytime soon.