Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water In Oil

Bought a 93 echelon knowing that there were issues. Been fixing wiring issues, cleaned carb, drained old fuel, and today started an oil change. The oil looks like a chocolate milkshake. How do I figure out where the problem is? I figured I could start with running garden hose through lake water pump with spark plugs out. If water comes out of spark plug holes, then there is a crack or blown gasket? Any tips or suggestions?

Bought a 93 echelon knowing that there were issues. Been fixing wiring issues, cleaned carb, drained old fuel, and today started an oil change. The oil looks like a chocolate milkshake. How do I figure out where the problem is? I figured I could start with running garden hose through lake water pump with spark plugs out. If water comes out of spark plug holes, then there is a crack or blown gasket? Any tips or suggestions?

Wow, considering I run in the sea, have a new 93 skier, using fresh water flushing via the perco flush valve to check the engine in this manner would be nice to do. Do one plug at a time? Is this an epiphany? heh heh. Experts advice? ;-) x2

A couple of problems with this, first off a blown head gasket normally only leaks when the cooling system has some pressure and heat, turning a hose on a non running engine likely will not simulate this problem. Secondly just because a head gasket is leaking doesnt mean it will be leaking into the cylinders, could be leaking from a coolant passage into an oil passage. I would do a leak down test on each cylinder first and if they all hold then start by pulling off the intake and work your way into the engine until you find the leak.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced yet it has a leak. Lots of info missing.

How long did the boat sit without running? There's a slight chance it condensated. Change the oil and try to start it before you go pulling heads, intakes, etc off the boat.

Steve B.

A couple of problems with this, first off a blown head gasket normally only leaks when the cooling system has some pressure and heat, turning a hose on a non running engine likely will not simulate this problem. Secondly just because a head gasket is leaking doesnt mean it will be leaking into the cylinders, could be leaking from a coolant passage into an oil passage. I would do a leak down test on each cylinder first and if they all hold then start by pulling off the intake and work your way into the engine until you find the leak.

Thanks for the expert advice. That's what I like about the BUCrew!

Boat hasnt run in a couple years. But, as I have been working on it I have discovered that the previous owner Jb welded some cracks in the block. He claims no knowledge of these cracks and wont help me out in any way. I am going to proceed with the oil change and hope for the best. But I know that in the long run I am going to be dropping in a new longblock. Can anyone tell me specific details about the mercruiser magnum 350 tournament ski engine used in the 1993 malibu echelons? Is it a 1 or 2 piece rear main seal, 4 bolt main? Just want to have the correct information assembled so I can start a rebuild over the winter. Should I stick with the default engine or bolt in something with more power? What will bolt in and interface with the tranny correctly? I am hoping to do most of the work on my own, so any info is helpful.

Thanks-

Joe

Found another strange thing tonight. Above the oil filter there is a sensor, either oil temp or oil pressure I would guess. Then above that there is another threaded hole, looks like another sensor would screw into it. My engine

currently does not have anything there. What am I missing, and can I just plug it for now?

Edited by 4nryde

I would just buy a complete new crate drop in. Your block is toast, the manifolds are 20 yrs old. Just start fresh. That sucks that the previous owner lied. Not cool

martinarcher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68120541@N04/7838230398/

Here is a pic showing the empty threaded hole. If something is missing, what is it? If it can be plugged, what size bolt can I use?

Thanks.

I'll have to take a peek at my motor. I can't remember what that hole might be for, but it certainly seems odd it's not plugged.

I would just buy a complete new crate drop in. Your block is toast, the manifolds are 20 yrs old. Just start fresh. That sucks that the previous owner lied. Not cool

If I buy a new long block I will still need to know if something goes in this hole. Is there a service manual for this engine online?

verify that that is a pipe thread and not just a bolt hole for some sort of mount that in not used in your motor configuration. I know the first year I drained my block for the winter and then went to get it ready for spring and converted my boat to closed cooling I put the plug into and extra mounting hole and did not know it since I couldn't really see what i was doing and doing it all on feel. boy did it make me sick when i filled the block with antifreeze and went to move the boat a week later and all kinds of antifreeze came pouring out the back of my boat as I backed down the driveway. i thought I had a cracked block but all i did was but the plug into an unused engine mounting hole and not the actual hole for the plug. and that pic you show I think that is a mounting hole

• 4 weeks later...