Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jet Skier and Rental Company being sued for fatal accident in Hawaii

Soon2BV

Not to disagree with ANYTHING you said above, but any Jet-Ski that I've ever rented (three separate occasions in different parts of Mexico) the machines we're severely dialed back from a top speed perspective. One of them I remember specifically being an 1100 CC Yamaha that was WAY more of a dog than my wife's Tigershark Montego 640 which was like a toy....My Daytona 770 was a rocket by comparison..if that Yamaha did over 30 I'd be shocked. The bottom line is that it sucks and its awful when stuff like this happens....and Ive certainly had my fair share of frustration with inexperienced Jet-Skiers on the water.....but the same theory should really apply for any kind of watercraft....you cant drive a car without proving you're able....yet someone can drop a check down and be out on the water in 20 minutes with something equally if not more deadly with no requirement of proof they are qualified in any way to use it...Im not one for big government...in most cases I want them out of my business...but this is something that needs looking into here.

Couldn't agree more mofaster. I've been making that argument for years. Almost verbatim. We did have to watch a 15 min video before we rented once in San Diego, but still anyone can sit down and hold the throttle open.

Wish we could force common sense.

In Michigan you can't ride a Pwc alone without taking a state run boaters safety course of you were born after 1977. Great law that keeps most of the idiots away.

jkendallmsce

Not to disagree with ANYTHING you said above, but any Jet-Ski that I've ever rented (three separate occasions in different parts of Mexico) the machines we're severely dialed back from a top speed perspective. One of them I remember specifically being an 1100 CC Yamaha that was WAY more of a dog than my wife's Tigershark Montego 640 which was like a toy....My Daytona 770 was a rocket by comparison..if that Yamaha did over 30 I'd be shocked. The bottom line is that it sucks and its awful when stuff like this happens....and Ive certainly had my fair share of frustration with inexperienced Jet-Skiers on the water.....but the same theory should really apply for any kind of watercraft....you cant drive a car without proving you're able....yet someone can drop a check down and be out on the water in 20 minutes with something equally if not more deadly with no requirement of proof they are qualified in any way to use it...Im not one for big government...in most cases I want them out of my business...but this is something that needs looking into here.

Don't use a double negative at the start of your comment. NOT to DISAGREE...

And dialed back to only do 50 mph rather than 70 mph... 50, heck even 30 mph into something solid, like a side of boat will ruin your day.

I am not for any more regualtions, as we ALL know there are too many of them, but to let anyone out on a PWC, a boat, motorcycle...you know there is going to be problems.

I see it all the time out on the Delta with PWCers and boaters...just cause ya got enough money to buy a abot, does not mean that ya should. I would bet 50% of the boaters don't know even the very basic rules of the water. NOt sure how it works in OR, but they have to pass some kinda test.

I could care less about them and if they get hurt, but I have tooo any close calls, where folks are oblivious to the rules, have a had too much to drink, and are short on the IQ.common sense/common courtesy thing to begin the day.

Edited by jkendallmsce