Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer bearings

Bigdock

Went to the lake Sunday as we was pulling into the ramp thought I noticed the tire on the right side of trailer move a bit but went on laking checked when loading boat the grease cap came off and both bearing was shot and had cut into spindle a little and whoever had it before had stripped the threads on the spindle looks like I'll be getting a new drop axle anybody know where to search for one of they it's a 1989 euro f3 trailer

How about posting a picture? Are there any good threads left? If there's still a few you can use spacers or washers between the nut and the bearing to supply the correct pre-load. If there's no threads left can you use a die to rethread the spindle? It doesn't have to be the same thread, just a thread that same as a nut with the correct size. If any of them are viable options be sure to change the two races in the hub and both bearings If all of those options are out, try a place that sells trailers or trailer parts for a new axle.

The threads are only messed up when you start to thread nut on and it tries to strip the nut I would take pictures but I had to put it back together enough to get home my local trailer place says he can order a new one for around 250 but it's a 3500lb axle I think my boat might weigh more than that even tho it's just an 89 euro f3 it's only 19ft

A picture would be great hard to tell how bad the damage is and whats the fix from just the description is your trailer an itrailer like mine if yes then the bearings are available from napa $21.99 per side and not too difficult to replace start by checking to make sure the spindle isn't damaged such that a new bearing won't sit right on it good luck

Edited by CliffB