Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust ports dumping very different amounts of water

I have a new 2012 Response TXi. It has 70 hours on it. I had it running in my drive way hooked up to a hose. I noticed that the drivers side exhaust was spitting out water at 1/2 the amount of the passengers exhaust. They definitely were not equal.

Should I be concerned?

Is this normal?

Is my drivers side cylinder bank in danger of overheating?

We have a lot of weeds nears the surface of the lake we ski on. Maybe weeds got in and restricted the drivers side cooling?

I do not have the silent rider mufflers. I have 1 exhaust port for each side.

The boat was on level ground.

Thanks

Because your engine rotates clockwise, at idle you will notice the right side (engine) manifold will be hotter than the left side, even if you're in the water. Go for a spin around the lake and you will notice manifolds will be the same temperature.

If I understand the cooling flow correctly, when the thermostat is open, the block empties the hot water back to a central point in front of the thermostat and then the water flows out to the two exhaust manifolds. So the amount of water from each exhaust port is not directly related to each side of the engine block. But you would want enough water coming out of each exhaust port to keep the exhaust hoses from overheating, anyone thinking differently here?

I got a response from some where else as follows......

"I asked our Svc Mgr about your concern. Indmar does not recommend running on fake a lake. You will not get an adequate flow of water to the engine. There is way too much air introduced into the cooling system when using one of these. This is what you are seeing with the reduced flow from one exhaust port.

When we use these at the shop, we cannot run the motors for more than a minute or two due to the issues above. Your owner’s manual also outlines this as well. Running on a fake a lake can ruin your exhaust manifolds."

Agree, disagree?

Edited by craigbtx

I got a response from some where else as follows......

"I asked our Svc Mgr about your concern. Indmar does not recommend running on fake a lake. You will not get an adequate flow of water to the engine. There is way too much air introduced into the cooling system when using one of these. This is what you are seeing with the reduced flow from one exhaust port.

When we use these at the shop, we cannot run the motors for more than a minute or two due to the issues above. Your owner’s manual also outlines this as well. Running on a fake a lake can ruin your exhaust manifolds."

Agree, disagree?

I call BS. I've ran mine on it for a good 15-20 minutes before to warm the oil up for an oil change. Temp stays spot on, impeller wasn't damaged, nothing got hot in the engine either.

My motor has partial closed cooling, but I doubt that makes any difference, as it still has to cool the coolant through the heat exchanger.

Well I won't dig too much into the science but Fake a Lake has been around since the eighties. If they were notorious for causing engine problems I would have to think by now word would have gotten around boating circles and they would have fallen off the radar.

:plus1: I run mine with a hose hooked directly to the water input of the vdrive. I unhook the hose coming into the boat spin it around and hook and adapter for the water hose to the intake side. I do it to change the oil, and also to winterize. I run it until the thermostat opens and the temperature stabilizes.

If you "pump, " or send using a hose, water into the running raw water pump via a perco flush value, etc., there should be no problem like that possibly encountered (really?) with a fake a lake...

I wrote here somewhere how I do it "closed system" with a tub of water and submersible pump.. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you the link, which I don't know how to do. yet...

I did and experiment.

Started the boat up hooked up to a hose.

Left side spit out twice the water as the right side.

I pushed the rubber flap on the left side exhaust closed for awhile.

The right side started spitting out lots more water.

I let go of the left flap.

Now the right side continued spittng out twice as much water as the left side.

It seems that the one side with the most water "siphons" out extra water from the other side.

FYI - I also hooked up my hose directly to the boats suck up hose and after the engine started the hose was putting out more water than the pump pulled in. So maybe fake a lake is OK. I always used it in the past, no problems.

Edited by craigbtx