Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed Effects on Surf Wave

nownow

Is there a general statement that can be made about what effect speed has on the surf wave if all other factors are left constant?

We're on a '12 VTX with about 750 in the rear surf locker, surf side, center and bow MLS full, and wedge fully down with typically very little (160 lbs) human ballast. I'm 205 lbs on a CWB Tsunami. I've found myself gravitating toward slower speeds (9.4 recently) because I feel like the pocket is cleaner. That said, it seems short and I feel like I have to work hard to stay ropeless for longer than a minute or so. I've run up to 10.4 or so and I feel like the pocket gets messy and I don't seem to do as well. Haven't tried it in a week or two, though, and I feel like my form has been progressing during that time.

I figure I "need" about another 300 sac for the side locker and a Phase Five Razz or equivalent :biggrin: ... but regardless of that, what effects SHOULD I be looking for in moving from 9.4 to 10.2 to 11.2 etc? Push? Pocket length? What other effects (positive or negative) will increased speed have on the wave?

Edited by nownow

The first thing I would do it verify by GPS your actual surfing speed. 9.4 is WAY slow if it's actual speed. 10.4-11.5 actual MPH should be good for you. The faster you go you lose height but the wave is longer. You should still have the push to ride it if you & your board are fast enough for the higher speed. Typically, the shorter boats need a little more weight in the bow to lengthen the wave. Have you tried with some extra bow weight?

I run pretty much the same set up as you except the wedge is 2 clicks up from the bottom. This allows me to run around 10.4 to 10.6 mph and I can stay in the pocket for as long as I want. Board is an Inland Surfer Blue Lake V2. Your speed should be prettr accurate since you have GPS speed control on the 2012.

I am right at 200lbs and I find it MUCH better going faster, I prefer 11.2 - 11.6.

Yes it'll throw a huge wave at 10.4 -10.6, but you are going so slow that you are bogging down on the board and cant do a whole lot other than swerve right there in the small pocket.

You need that firm water pressure under the board you get from speed, to make it stable and fun for the heavier guys, and for us, thats above 11mph. For beginers, a little guys and women, the 10s are fine.

Edited by nyryan2001

I run around 10.4 depending on load but I also play with the wedge position a lot. A fully extended wedge doesn't provide alot of extra drag and I often run full wedge (which is about 5 clicks from the bottom) which seems to help the wave. I find it more difficult with my 2011 to keep the wave consistent (session to session) than with my 06. Although I like the height of the 11 wave better the pocket on the 06 was longer. For me it is about trial and error. At least you can have fun while doing it!!

I have no luck at all with the wedge, I get a much nicer and cleaner wave without it, But I do not have a power wedge just the floating, so maybe thats why, i also run at 10.6 MPH

The general statement is that slower speeds will give you a steeper wake, usually more push and a shorter pocket; faster speeds will give you a longer wake that doesn't rise as high and usually has less push (this can vary).

You should surf at a speed that feels comfortable, but if you are looking from input from the crew, checking your speedo with GPS is a good idea.

If you are finding that the speedo is pretty close and even 10.4 isn't very clean, I would try dumping some or all of the front ballast. The other reason the wake might be worse at 10.4 is if you don't have enough list. Getting weight further out to edge will help that problem. However, with your setup you theoretically look good on list and other than getting more human ballast on the surf side there's not much more you can do easily. (I use solid ballast to help with our list on Stella, but that wasn't my first choice.)

The biggest thing is that it sounds like you are a beginning rider. All of us take some time to progress and riding ropeless for long periods of time just takes practice, whether you have a short pocket or a monster wake. I also wouldn't rush to get a better board, even though I'm sure you could find one with even more push. A solid beginning board like the Tsunami will give you some room to progress and help you understand what you want out of a board. We've purchased a new board about every two years and it feels about right.

You will actually hurt your progression by trying to throw in the rope too soon and too often. Adjust the length of rope so that's just longer than the back of the pocket and practice going back until it's almost tight, then leaning in with your front shoulder to gain speed. As soon as you feel the board start to move toward the boat, lean back, but try not to bounce off the rope. Just keep yourself right there as far back on the pocket as you can ride, moving forward and backward.

Thanks for all of the input! I'll check the speedo and also try some higher speeds again this weekend and see how it works out. I think I've gotten my footing and form a little better since the last time I tried 10.5+, so perhaps I'll be able to get the speed I need.

Ryan, I felt the same way...it goes back to feeling like you can adjust for say, a ski or wakeboard that's a little too small by upping the speed a bit. I thought that would be the case here, but the catch is that you (or in this case, I) just need to be good enough with the board that I can keep up when I up the speed. :)

Tyger, I hear you about tossing the rope in too soon...I've been hanging on a lot longer just trying to get the feel of the pocket, etc. I do actually like the board, but I feel like I dig it in if I try to get too much speed. Now, I also think a lot of that has to do with not concentrating on weighting the ball of my foot, so if I push too hard too far away from the toe edge, in I go...

Hopefully we'll get to try this out a little tonight and tomorrow...thanks again!

I have had 3 malibus, a vtx , vlx, now a lsv. the vtx surfed best around 9.8, the vlx around 10.8 the lsv surfs the best around 11.8 mph. The length of the boat also plays into the equation.

I didn't have time to read everyone else but my 2 cent. Take the weight out of the front. add speed. To me I loss push at 10.8- so I ride at 11.2 but I have a different boat.