Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Review - 2013 VLX with Surf Gate

Tao of Wake

I'd like to demo a '13 to see how it compares with ours. We seem to surf a lot these days, I'm the only one who still wakeboards in my family. Being able to surf with a small crew and sit wherever in the cabin are very attractive options. Our dealer, Idaho Water sports, put this video out. I don't know how much weight is on the boat, I'm guessing not much:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/hvNkFjGE7eo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Dexter

Here is a video of me on a vlx using surf gate with just stock ballast. There were three people on the boat while I was surfing. They moved around during my ride and it didn't effect the wake. For me, being able to surf with just stock ballast was awesome. I had the wedge up in the first part of the video and the wedge all the way down in the last part. The wake had more push with the wedge all the way up. This was my first time behind a Malibu, and I was impressed.

Edited by Micjh

No offense to your video, but that wake imo looks terrible. Maybe its the video angle, it just looks washed out, and rough... It looks just like my stock wake without SG. For $3k I would be disappointed with this.

No offense to your video, but that wake imo looks terrible. Maybe its the video angle, it just looks washed out, and rough... It looks just like my stock wake without SG. For $3k I would be disappointed with this.

No offense taken. I was taking video with my phone so I am not sure you got the best view. To me, it was a decent wave. I have tested out multiple boats across a couple of brands, and this was the only time, on stock ballast, that I could surf for an extended period of time. As you can tell I am not hard core surfer and I just like to cruise.

This option is roughly the same price for the "Tabs" that another brand offers. I am not sure if those tabs actually do anything dramatic to help shape the wave. With Surf Gate, you can see it right in front of your eyes.