Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing with the natives

dihrdskir

Posted a response in another thread which prompted me to ask: How many of you have skied in water occupied by potentially unfriendly locals? I have skied in the Maldives with sharks, North Queensland with a variety of poisonous stingers/jellyfish and at home we share the water with a variety of venomous snakes. Anyone with story to tell?

Do walleys who believe you can actually pull a tuber by only looking backwards (while driving erratically forward) count?

I love the looks from those guys when they realize that they're heading for a dock and have to stop (and sometimes hit reverse) for fear of throwing their tuber onto shore if they turn.

• Like 1

All of the above! And TUBERS who think circular is the only direction their boat can go in.

More time this summer at the river and at least they can only go in one direction (generally) while weaving all over, towing their tube at 35 mph in and out of traffic (now dems there brains. he haw)

I always feel kind of bad when there's a couple john boats fishing out on the lake at 6:00am and we come flying by at 34mph while skiing, probably scaring all their potential fish away. Oh well, at least we're just driving in straight lines and not thrashing about like a tuber.

martinarcher

I wakeboarded in Nelsons Bay in Australia last time I was there and the week after I got home a wakeboarder was attacked by a shark. The guys I was out with told me there were Blue Ring octopus in the Bay too, but luckily not the area where we were boarding!

I wakeboarded in Nelsons Bay in Australia last time I was there and the week after I got home a wakeboarder was attacked by a shark. The guys I was out with told me there were Blue Ring octopus in the Bay too, but luckily not the area where we were boarding!

Hello martin. I know you are a regular visitor to australia and I think you may have an appreciation of our way of life. The blue ringed octopus can be deadly and the sharks can be a little hostile too. Next time you are in town come a little further south and experience some really good skiing. While you are at it have a drive of the new Falcon GT or the F6 Typhoon. These will probably be the last of the real high performance Ford saloons. Judging by some of your previous posts I think you may have too much fun for your own good.

• Like 2

gators and snakes...found moccasin nest in our ski club's floating/starting dock...had to use the snake charmer (22) to deplete the population recently.

awesome. snakes can be a worry but I have a former neighbour that moved to the far northwest. of australia.he It is pristine country on lake argyle and the argyle river, he skis out there with his kids where there are freshwater crocs. It's the occasional salty maneater that you need to worry about

Nothing from an animal/reptile we need to worry about in CA. Rattlesnakes do swim and have rarely watched them cross water but really nothing that is of concern. Now as others PWC's and other boaters are much more of a concern.

• Like 1

In terms of animal life, about the only thing to worry about is actually on shore. Eastern Wa (Banks Lake, Columbia River, Snake River etc., Liberty Lake??) is rattle snakes. I have seen Moose swimming in Priest Lake, just give them a wide berth and they won't bother you. :)

martinarcher

Hello martin. I know you are a regular visitor to australia and I think you may have an appreciation of our way of life. The blue ringed octopus can be deadly and the sharks can be a little hostile too. Next time you are in town come a little further south and experience some really good skiing. While you are at it have a drive of the new Falcon GT or the F6 Typhoon. These will probably be the last of the real high performance Ford saloons. Judging by some of your previous posts I think you may have too much fun for your own good.

No that sounds like a trip I would love! I had an XR6 for a rental last time over and wished it was a Typhoon or GT! I was pulled over by the Australian police in the XR6 (of course they gave me a "pull me over red" one) and one look at my US drivers license and he just shook his head and told me to have a nice day. :)

Looks like he's got the slalom idea down. :lol:

What kind of snake?

Not really sure on that, normally we see Brown and Red Bellied Black snakes in the dams, I suspect this could be a Brown with just different coloring due to being in the water for so long. It was in the middle of a section at least a 1km from land.

martinarcher

Not really sure on that, normally we see Brown and Red Bellied Black snakes in the dams, I suspect this could be a Brown with just different coloring due to being in the water for so long. It was in the middle of a section at least a 1km from land.

Dang! That's a swim for a snake!

Had this fellow for company one of our trips last summer.

We once had a funny situation with a lake critter. We had just put a skier in the water; there was still slack in the rope. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a snake swimming along. Everyone in the (safety of the) boat was admiring the cool snake swimming along. It looked like he was just crossing the lake in front of us. Current, wind, whatever, but we ended up drifting in front of the snake... it then turned and started following the length of the boat... skier is getting a bit alarmed... then it starts following the rope headed towards the skier! The rope was still slacked, but the skier is yelling, "hit it, hit it, hit it!" I hit it praying he wouldn't fall trying to get up. My buddy didn't even try to get up. He just held on like a torpedo with his ski dragging behind him.

Edited by flapjack