Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

One of my (unanticipated) favorite things about boating

shawndoggy

call me maybe has definitely been this summer's boat memory. Oh and this one (UGH! but the kids love it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HeE6NWmDE

Yikes! That's bad. I like the Jimmy Fallon/Root's version of Call Me Maybe though.

That's the greatness of music - songs that are tied to specific memories. First live concert was Van Halens 1980 Invasion touring in support of the Women and Children First album. I remember being dropped off at the venue in my buddies fathers station wagon. Had 2 packs of Merit Menthols stuffed in my tube socks. My son grew up listening to Aldo Nova, Scorps, Def Leppard and Iron Maiden thanks in some part to Guitar Hero. What's happened to good rock'n'roll? Sadly it's a desert now.

Ok everybody.

Where does The Eagles "Hotel California" put you back to?

I have an extreme memory of when / where that song places me.

Somehow that reminds me to breaking up with an old girlfriend...one of several times we did that.

My kids just smile at me if they ever hear AC/DC back in black...they know it makes me want to wakeboard.

When I was a kid, I would play basketball in the driveway, and my best friend would break dance on some cardboard on the grass. He had rhythm, and I had height. We don't get to spend much time together anymore, but he did come to visit a few summers back. As a surprise, I put on the Egyptian Lover at full tilt. We never got to hear it that way as kids. Couldn't afford a big subwoofer and all that. I thought our faces might get stuck in a permanent smile, thinking of old times.

The stereo thing sort of happend by accident to me. I always liked loud music, but never thought it worthy of spending thousands of dollars on. I blew the wimpy set of tower speakers on my old boat. A friend of mine who would always come boating with me (more wealthy than I am) said he would be happy to share 1/2 of the cost of a new set of tower speakers. I asked if $1,000 being half was OK. Surprisingly, he said yes, and I have been loving loudness ever since.

Great thread, Shawndoggy...(group hug).

Edited by TallRedRider

This one? Yeah, it's on our playlist too!

Seriously, I would be bailing off the MB Sportster! Although you definitely have a leg up in the cool dad comp.

Edited by Bozboat
  • 3 weeks later...

This was a timely post because my daughter (16) and several of her friends were out on the boat with us @ Norris this weekend and control of the stereo was such a priority for them it drove me nuts! I am trying to dock the boat, and they are trying to slide in behind the helm seat to adjust the tunes. Apparently I need to add another remote in the bow!

I like quite a bit of their music, but not all of it. I have full veto rights to switch songs to fit my tastes - the Capt is always right! :-)

On the flip side, it is amazing how much of my music (I am 41) that they know and like. My 13 year old son can sing along to a wide range of "80s"...from Beastie Boys to Van Halen.

-- Mike

Sorry to hear MIchigan boarder. What broke?

Steve B.

Cutlass bearing.

But in a way, it was a good thing. Sunday was probably the best day we've had all year. Daughter was at a neighbors house down the lake, and the boys were inside, dug up some games they haven't messed with in a while. All kids were happy and having fun doing inside stuff, it was supposed to be a crummy day with Isaac remnants. Wife and I dragged a cooler to the pier and just layed out there drinking beers for 3 hours without any interruption. 3 HOURS!! Talking, laughing, etc. We looked at each other several times saying "Man, the ipod is playing some good stuff for us today!"

my kid now likes to swerve to Heart ... Barracuda, Heartless, Magic Man... it used to bring back high school memories but now when I hear those songs I wanna go ski with my daughter!!!

• Like 2

Sounds like an easy fix michigan !

I haven't used the tuner or cd yet this year. Ipod only. Zeppelin, pink floyd, Yes, The Zombies, The Animals, Bob Dylan, ELP, Peter Gabriel, boston, The Birds, The Yardbirds, Steely Dan, Montrose, Black Sabbath, Genesis, America, Grand Funk, etc.

Steve B.

That was a good laugh! I am sure that the kids will somehow find that into the mix.

FINALLY he's going wake to wake. If it's gotta be Gangnam Style, it's gotta be Gangnam Style...

Edited by shawndoggy

Great thread! Music is a very big part of our family also. Every Sat/Sun morning we have a 1-2 hr jam/dance party in our living room while we're eating breakfast and getting around to go on the boat. The kids love to dance. So do the wife and I for that matter. We don't play the radio much on the boat though. I just enjoy the sounds of the lake and of my family swimming and laughing.

A few songs/albums that take me back:

Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream album. Bought it just before hopping on a 12 hr train ride with my best friend to Virgina Beach for spring break sophomore year of high school.

Violent Fems - American music. Girl friend at a summer camp

Oasis - Champange Supernova. Rollerblading with buddies summer break senior year of high school

Radiohead - Fake plastic trees. Breakup song with first long term girlfriend.

Daft Punk - One more time. My jump set at regionals the last year I was on the MSU waterski team. My first jump was big for me (70ft) so my team mates blared that song from shore to help pump me up for jumps 2&3. It worked. We won and went to nationals. What a great time!

• Like 2

"hold on to 16 as long as you can..."

that lyric didn't mean anything to me when I first heard this song in the backseat of my dad's k5 blazer heading from LV to the family cabin in duck creek utah circa 5th grade.

3259861616_4f6b57d42e_b.jpg

Wow do I get it now....

(****burton performer elite 150, for those of you keeping score at home)

• 2 months later...

This one has been the kids' latest choice....

ha ha, youtube says that this is now the most viewed video of all time. 810 million views. Y'all saw it here first!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/11/25/165843747/never-enough-gangnam-k-pop-video-is-youtubes-most-viewed?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20121125

ha ha, youtube says that this is now the most viewed video of all time. 810 million views. Y'all saw it here first!

I was thinking the same thing the other night, when it occured to me that the kids waiting in the concession stand line at a HS football game were severly infected with the dance moves in this video.

Op, your kids will remember memories from the boat, especially your music not theres, being one of those kids, I have the memories of being on our old '96 response listening to y dads Totally '80s CDs (they were a 2 cd set). Now whenever any one of the songs come on the radio or somewhere i can sing everyone word for word and if i'm with a parent or someone from that generation they question me how i know it, when 2 cds out of 6 cds in the boat are that, and they stayed in there the entire time the boat was in use (through last year) you memorize them and have awesome memories.

• Like 1

YOu bet your kids will...they notice much more than you think they do...just like you have being on the 96 response.....one of the best things you can do for your kids...spend time with them...

Ok everybody.

Where does The Eagles "Hotel California" put you back to?

I have an extreme memory of when / where that song places me.

Lake McClure - Barrett Cove Marina. My buddy from high school and I worked at the marina the summer that came out (on 8 track of course) and we lived on his parents houseboat. Hotel California and Life in the Fast lane take me back every time.

And I still 'remember 'her' name from that summer, if ya get what I'm saying. :thumbup:

• Like 2

YOu bet your kids will...they notice much more than you think they do...just like you have being on the 96 response.....one of the best things you can do for your kids...spend time with them...

It's completely true, boating vacations are some of the most memorable things from me being younger (i'm still only in college) but the boat/lake have become my favorite place because there is never a bad memory for me on them, and due to those "totally 80's" cds on the boat, I love 80s music because of the good times at the lake haha

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...